[Wheatsville] Bike to Work, lots of seasonal delights, grow your own food and so much more!

Dan gillotte dangillotte at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:57:35 EDT 2009

Hi folks!

Yep, we continue to morph into the new Wheatsville. Over the next few days,
we will be moving into our new grocery shelving. You won't see a ton of new
products yet, but rest assured that we are taking your wish lists VERY
seriously.

Bike to work day is tomorrow! Friday from 7am-9am, bike up to Wheatsville
for some light breakfast noshing and some coffee!

*From the Deli*

Things are heating up outside, and the Wheatsville Deli is here to help you
keep your cool!
Our spicy, delicious and charmingly cold tomato *Gazpacho Soup *is back in
the full-serve case for your summertime delight!
*Red Curry Tofu*, a customer favorite for sure, is also in the case,
combining spicy, roasted chunks of tofu with a cool and creamy Veganaise
based dressing, full of raw veggies. Try a sample!
All your favorite hot-weather coolers are in stock as Grab-n-Go as well,
including our fabulous pecan- and apple-studded *Chicken Salad*, creamy,
buttermilk* Pimento Cheese*,* Tuna Salad *chockfull of crunchy and sweet
veggies, and the vegan, tofu-based *Eggless Egg Salad*!
*Green salads* will give you the nourishment and energy you are sure to
crave during these humid days, either veggie-only or made into a meal topped
with strips of baked tofu, slices of all-natural lemon-pepper roasted
chicken breast, or fresh, soft cubes of mozzarella cheese! Each salad comes
with your choice of our *Cashew-Tamari *or *Cilantro-Lime dressings*!
*Tomatillo Fire*, our very spicy salsa of the month, goes great with chips
and will certainly light a fire that only another bite can tame – until the
next one!
Did someone say *SMOOTHIE?* It’s that time of the year, folks! Come get your
all-fruit, no-filler, icy-cold and super-thick smoothies, made just how you
like ‘em with all sorts of add-ins possible! Choose your fruit(s) and build
from there: pineapple, blueberry, strawberry, mango, raspberry, banana and
peach are all on the menu!
And, for a fantastic way to cool down a hot morning, be sure to try our
renowned* Iced Coffee Toddy,* a cold-pressed coffee that takes over 24 hours
to create! It goes great over ice, finished with milk and a shot of agave,
if you order it like I do! It is divine and guaranteed to wake you up, so
come in and cool down!

*Greg in the Land of Cheese*

Mark Keul, with *Brazos Valley Cheese Company*, just delivered two wheels of
his wonderful brie and a wheel of his Roquefert style blue. I will be
cutting the brie as soon as i finish typing this e-mail. Just a heads up ,
this cheese department will be making its final move in the coming weeks.
Keep a look out for cheesie specials and new cheeses. We will occupy the
place where bulk is now and they will become neighbors with the produce
department.
Here is a great cook out idea. I love grilling corn!! I love it eating it
plain straight off the grill. but when plain just will not do I like coating
the corn with a generous amount of butter and sprinkling freshly grated
parmesean cheese. DE-LIC-IOUS!!!

*Bryan, the Butcher*

Wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon is on member coupon this month .75- off.
Niman sausages, Italian and bratwurst, also on member coupon this month -.25
off.
    Be sure to check out the ready to fix case. All the favorites your use
to are there; *Moroccan spicy lamb patty, Salmon burgers, Almond crusted
trout, Cajun catfish, and pre-made mini meat loaf*s ready for the oven.
    It's hot and time for grilling! We have plenty of great grilling cuts in
the meat case. Top sirloin a favorite for years, London broils, big thick
boneless ribeyes, and lots of made fresh daily ground meats. When you buy
Niman meats you're supporting humane treatment of livestock. You're also
getting consistently great  gourmet quality steaks and burger. What's not to
love?!

*Produce goodness*
Just some of the delightful action in our produce department this week!
We've got your *Strawberries*, from Texas for $2.99, Organic for $3.49
*Organic peaches* from Mexico- if they aren't ripe, put them in a brown
papoer bag for a day or so and get ready for deliciousness!
Now is the time to be eating* Organic Asparagus*! A (super short and silly)
primer on how to cook asparagus quick-like at *http://tinyurl.com/pamhdp*
Also, check the department for* lots of local product *from our favorite
farmers! Woo hoo!
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/wheatsvilleduce

*Grow foods, we'll help! The Wheatsville Gro-op!*
Learn more about our latest project to get more people growing their own
food.
http://wheatsville.coop/gro-op.html
Come learn more about turning your yard into a Wheatsville YardFarm! tonight
at 7pm on the patio.

*Check out our “Staff Top Ten Picks” posted throughout the store, we work
here and shop here!!!*
Look for the green signs in front of the products.

Featuring* Ray Wilder,* Deli Counter:
Beet and Kale Salad:
Yum, yum, yum, yum!  Healthy, raw,  juicy and delicious!  I could eat it
everyday!
Spicy Greens:
Brilliant dark greens with the perfect amount of flavor and spice...great on
a black bean taco!
Bakery:
Any of our bakeries gluten-free cakes...especially the chocolate ones!!
Sheesh, it doesn't get any better than this!!
Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge Coconut Bliss:
The best coconut ice cream around!  Organic, fair trade, sweetened with
agave...you almost feel healthy eating it, but it's so dreamy, you won't
even care!!
GT's Guava Kombucha:
Hawai'i in Feburary plus stomach settling relief...refreshing and soothing!
Margarita's Corn Tortillas:
Local, non-GMO, awesome corny yumminess!!
FES Flower Essences:
Powerful support for your heart and body...choose from an array to meet your
individual needs!:
Sunflower Butter:
Affordable, delicious protein...try it in a smoothie!!
Texas Pecans:
Gotta eat those wonderful local nuts!!  What a treat!
Go take a hike mix:
If you're not a fan already, you will be...unique, scrumptious energy!!

Featuring *Beth Buetel,* Cashier
Organic Raw Cashew Butter- smooth, creamy, addictive. great on carrots! or a
spoon =/
no pudge brownie mix-  to make two-bite brownies: put in mini-muffin pans
for half the time
or... if that's too long... just add yogurt?!? So easy! So fudgey!
Katz' Midnight Blue Coffee- Dark, full, and smooth. It makes me linger.
Alexander  Family Farm Eggs- Good baking starts with good eggs and these are
perfection!
Remember When Butter- Makes everything you cook or bake taste like heaven.
Raw Revolution Raspberry & Chocolate Bar- It's like my favorite wheatsville
berry brownie- but no flour!
Cel-Ray Soda- Refreshment perfection. Surprisingly celery like- but no
strings!
Richardson's Farms Pork Products. the pan-style sausage is divine, but
they're all delicious...
The deli's new breads!!!- Rosemary Loaf. So good you just might have to go
to confession.
Pure Luck Farms herbs- Wafting up gorgeous scents wherever they go. Dill,
Thyme & Love.

*Rush Hour Recipes*

With the start of a new month comes a new Rush Hour Recipe! Yay!  This month
features Chicken With Chimichurri Sauce.
Every month we'll feature a new entree recipe (featuring a mix of
vegetarian, non-vegetarian and vegan options) at the Deli Counter and on our
website. We will keep an archive of recipe cards at the member center as
well, so that you can pick one up and use it for your dinner shopping. You
can even use these recipes to build your own recipe book. These recipes come
from various co-ops all over the States, which is pretty cool. Plus they
have been kitchen tested so you trust them to turn out right. Increase your
kitchen repertoire with these quick, easy, fresh, entree recipes.  Follow
this link to see the Rush Hour Recipes:
http://wheatsville.coop/recipeindex.html

*Newest Competitor*
We know that you may be curious about our new competitor, the Natural
Grocer. It's ok. Really. But, if you go and buy something from them, will
you help us out and share your receipt with us? If you want to, just drop it
in the slot at the new Hospitality Desk at the front of  the store. Thanks!

I hope that you have a great week!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy