[Wheatsville] Better times to shop, Expansion-asana, and food news!

Dan Gillotte gm at wheatsville.com
Fri Apr 25 15:31:59 EDT 2008

Hello friends,

Scroll down for:
Expansion update!
Better times to shop during this project phase.
Wheatsville Expansion Project opening ceremony this Tuesday!
Food news!
Board meeting in new temporary meeting space.

Expansion Update!
Our demolition has gone pretty smoothly so far with a seriously huge
piece of equipment doing a lot of the work up to this point. They are
currently excavating the dirt behind the retaining wall in order to
expose it for demolition. It's pretty fun to watch! Early next week
should see the demolition of the brick building that we affectionately
refer to as the Red Door building as well as the beginning of work on
the former InStep space.

Having a huge piece of power equipment in our parking lot has made
parking  a little trickier than we're used to and we've had some
traffic jams at certain times of the day. We appreciate your patience
in this process. I do have some suggestions, though for better times
to shop.
If you can adjust your shopping, you might find that the auto parking
is easier during the the following times:
Early mornings from open until about 11 or 11:30am.
Mid-afternoon from 2:30-4
Evenings after 8pm.

After 5pm and on weekends, there is potentially parking to the north
side of Wheatsville that you could also try.

All staff are parking off premises or finding alternative transport to
get to work to free up as much space as possible for you to shop, but
it will still be a squeeze during the busiest times. Once again, I
thank you for your patience during our project.

Maybe you would like to join your co-op board at a small ceremony to
celebrate the beginning of our long-awaited project? We'll be having a
short informal ceremony in the parking lot at 5:30 on Tuesday April
29th. We'll have light refreshments and probably a minimum of
speechifyin'. (You might consider parking off premise if possible ; )

Check out our expansion updates with pictures on-line at http://www.wheatsville.coop/expansion.html

Food news!

This is your last weekend to come in for April Co-op Advantage
Specials. (We'll have more different specials in May, though!)

In the deli!
The Wheatsville Deli's been celebrating the warm weather with some
tasty treats: barbecued all-natural chicken pieces, grilled garlic-
butter ahi tuna steaks and curry lime chicken salad! Our bakers have
been cooking
up a storm as well: creamy slices of kiwi fruit-topped vegan
cheesecake have been appearing in the self-serve case. And another hot
weather cooler, cucumber-dill cream cheese, has made its seasonal
return to the
cheese case. Try some on a bagel, or spread on a celery stick!

Here's the latest from Mike Crissey, our Perishables Buyer:

COLD CASES

I am continuing to cull slower movers out of the dairy cooler and
freezer as renovation continues. We don't have a clear picture of what
may happen in the store yet. Products and departments may be moved to
other places and we may have to consolidate all of the refrigerated
product in a cooler or two when we get new equipment. I've been
working with Dan and Niki to fine-tune our product mix so we can be
prepared if we find ourselves short on cooler space. This doesn't mean
these products won't come back after renovation is complete.

Here's the latest list of items I'm working to discontinue. This week
it's frozen:

Amy's Frozen Meals: Although most of these meals are popular (they
helped me get started on a vegetarian and organic diet), we have a few
items that just aren't as popular.

Amy's Cheese Lasagna, Amy's Tofu Scramble, Amy's Tofu Ranchero, Amy's
Country Meal, Amy's Thai Stir-fry Bowl and Amy's Santa Fe Enchilada
Bowls will be on sale for $3.99 ($.50 off) down from their regular
prices of $4.49. Also, the Amy's Shepherd's Pie which is on sale for
$1.99 this month.

Meanwhile, we're discontinuing one of the Amy's pockets -- the Tofu
Scramble, which are also on sale for $1.89.

Hytop Vegetables: These are by far the least expensive frozen
vegetables in the co-op but it seems like we support Woodstock Farms
and Cascadian Farms although they're more expensive. We sell three
times as much Cascadian Farms and about twice as many Woodstock Farms
frozen vegetables as Hytop in an average month. Until we sell out,
Hytop vegetables will be 60 to 80 cents off (reg. $1.59 to $1.79, now
$.99).

Food-For-Life Raisin Pecan Bread: This product is among our slowest
moving frozen breads.We sold about two cases of it last month compared
to five or six cases for the other Food-For-Life breads and 15 to 20
cases for Ezekiel breads. The FFL Raisin Pecan bread will be on sale
for $4.29 (70 cents off) until we run out.

French Meadow Sunflower-Flax bread: This is another of our slower
moving frozen breads. We sold about two cases last month. It will be
on sale for $3.99, down from its regular price of $3.99.

Your board at work
Our next board meeting is this coming Tuesday APRIL 29TH, following
the ceremony at 6pm in our new temporary meeting space at 406 West
30th. It's on the northeast corner of 30th & Fruth (two short blocks
east of Guadalupe), directly across the street from Trudy's and just
down the street from Spiderhouse. The meeting is from 6-9 and you are
invited to attend.

THE NOMCOM WANTS YOU!!

Have you or someone you know wondered what more you could do for our
cooperative? Then the Nominations Committee of the Wheatsville Board
of Directors wants to talk to you. We have four general seats open in
the upcoming September election. If you have a gold card (investment
ownership) you are eligible to run for the board. Typically, directors
spend an an average of one to three hours per week between board
meetings and committees they may serve on. If you'd like more
information, please contact the Nominations Committee atnominations at wheatsville.coop
  or contact board member Bob Kinney (bkinney at wheatsville.coop) or
Mike Crissey (mcrissey at wheatsville.coop).

Sports news!
COOPERATION BEATS THE CHRONICLE

I had a lead-off triple and scored the go-ahead run in the 10th inning
as Bookpeople beat The Chronicle 13-9 Monday night. The Filthy Animals
jumped out to an early 4-0 lead but The Chronicle tied it at 5 all in
the fifth inning and jumped out to a 9-6 lead in the sixth. Bookpeople
whittled away the lead, tying the game at 9 in the top of the ninth
innning. I hit a line drive down the third base line for a triple and
was driven in with a single to right field to put Bookpeople ahead for
good in the extra frame. The next three Filthy Animals all scored,
driven in by an in-the-park homer by Bookpeople's second baseman.

LET'S PLAY BALL

I have temporarily joined Bookpeople as they play other independent
Austin businesses in softball, but I'd really like to get a
Wheatsville team together. In past years, we found enough employees to
make a squad, but this year we haven't been so lucky. Anyone who'd
like to play softball -- even if you've never played -- should send me
an e-mail at mcrissey at wheatsville.coop. We typically practice
Wednesdays or Thursdays and Sundays. We have to have the most healthy
and fit folks in town. Let's play ball.

I hope that you have a great week!
Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!