[SM-Discuss] Xorg font path transition... is this an issue that needs integration to stable?

Eric Sandall eric at sandall.us
Wed Dec 16 18:35:14 EST 2009

Quoting Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum at orgis.org>:

> Hi folks...
>
> after having several old-ish apps (Motif, xfontsel... stuff that
> needs X11 core fonts) broken with their fonts after updating my SMGL
> system, I figured out that it's the (incomplete) transition from
> /usr/lib/X11/fonts to /usr/share/fonts/X11.
> This caused a lot of fonts not being found anymore by my X server
> and thusly had forced me to think about getting my favourite text
> editor font back (yes, for programming you cannot beat a good bitmap
> font).
>
> Long story short: I fixed up xorg-server to look into
> /usr/share/fonts/X11 by default (important when you got no xorg.conf
> at all) and also several spells on xorg-fonts that still installed
> to the old location. Seems like upstream people didn't bother to
> update all font packages in that respect.
>
> I am talking about the commits leading to
> c8d80144d164621665fa0a7f183b389d556deaac... Now, I wonder: Does this
> affect current stable grimoire? And if it does, is this issue
> demanding an integration or not? Some folks on IRC weren't
> particulary bothered since minimal font to get Xorg running at all
> is built-in and modern programs don't need core X fonts.
>

> Opinions?

Thank you for finding, and fixing, the fonts Thomas. :) I hadn't even
noticed when I did some of the original updates as I use the default
fonts.

Please open a bug to integrate your changes into the new stable-0.39
(just released today) and I'll check the bugs and see about
integrating them.

-sandalle

--
Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/