[SM-Discuss] Cups and Ghostscript . . .
jflatt at sourcemage.org
Sun Sep 25 01:42:23 EDT 2005
I've had this outstanding bug  on my plate for quite a while. Over the
course of the last couple of months, I've been reading about and
experimenting with cups, espgs, ghostscript and a few other printer section
programs trying to figure out what exactly is going on. I've been doing this
for a greater understanding of those programs and the printing process, and
because I'd really like to get rid of that awkward circular casting setup the
way it is now.
What I've determined are these things:
* cups does not depend on any ghostscript program to compile.
* cups does depend on espgs to print to postscript printers (AFAIKT, mostly
laser printers -- I haven't quite pinned this down, but I will)
* cups will not print with any ghostscript program other than espgs.
* cups does not depend on any ghostscript program to print to a
non-postscript printer (for example, an inkjet printer using foomatic
* espgs optionally depends on cups.
* espgs does not need cups to work correctly as a ghostscript program.
* espgs needs to be compiled with cups support in order for cups and it to
work correctly with each other.
* none of the other ghostscript programs know or care about cups (I actually
suspect the programs don't care at all). :^)
(I've also determined a few things about gimp-print and will be changing some
dependencies there, as well.)
Here's what I've decided to do:
* make the cups spell not depend on any ghostscript spell.
* make the espgs spell not depend on cups at all and give $OPTS the
--without-cups option w/o asking for feed back.
* create a new spell based on cups (called cups-espgs) that will compile and
install cups and then compile and install espgs with the --with-cups option
specified (no asking).
That will give a few things:
* people who need the cups/espgs combo can have it with only a single spell
* people who use cups w/non-postscript printers can have it w/o needing espgs
(or can choose one of the other ghostscript programs for other things).
* people who want espgs but don't print or use cups to print can do so w/o
the extra overhead.
I suspect that last item represents, by far, the least number of users. :^)
This is what I am going to be doing over the course of the next week or two.
I just wanted to kind of give folks a heads up, so when the changes come
across they are aware of what is going on.
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
jflatt at sourcemage.org
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 481 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/sm-discuss/attachments/20050924/d9a6c256/attachment.bin
More information about the SM-Discuss