[SM-Discuss] Weirdness with /tmp

Eric Sandall eric at sandall.us
Wed May 18 16:12:52 EDT 2005

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth at positivism.org>:
> smgl-fhs is to make sure we have an FHS-compliant set of directories.
> We had a few spells that expected them so chroot creation is helped by
> having a single spell handle it -- it appears you've found a bug in how
> it sets permissions.  I thought it wasn't going to mess with permissions
> unless it has to create a new directory there, but apparently it mangles
> permissions.  Eric, what did you do now?

Followed the FHS 2.2 exactly. ;) (well, with default perms 0755). They don't
mention the sticky bit for /tmp: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.15.html
nor /var/tmp: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.15.html

-sandalle

--
Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/