[SM-Discuss] bash_profile and bashrc . . .

Seth Alan Woolley seth at positivism.org
Fri Mar 18 18:47:49 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:37:29PM -0500, Geoffrey Derber wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 18:49 +0100, Arjan Bouter wrote:
>
> > This also is not a bug. This is a security measure. Root's profile can/should be
> > different from that of normal users. For example root can have /sbin in $PATH
> > which normal users shouldn't need and to minimize the risk of a non-functional
> > root account things like bash-completion and other stuff which installs in
> > /etc/profile.d shouldn't be in root's profile. By installing a normal file
> > instead of a link you make sure lazy admins don't use /etc/profile instead of
> > their own.
>
> If we are considering the security risk, shouldn't the /sbin directories
> be removed from /etc/profile?  In which case we'd also probably want to
> move 'gaze' to /usr/bin or something like that.

This has nothing to do with security.  /sbin/gaze works even when PATH
doesn't have /sbin/.  PATH is only a convenience.

/etc/profile.d shouldn't be picked up automatically by the root account,
though, that is a good point.  I prefer my root account prompt to be
totally different than user accounts, too, for example (more than just
$/#).

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737  F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00BA3AF3
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org