[SM-Discuss] what to do with Mozilla's Bit Rot (was: Fixing Firefox's "find in page")
jblosser-smgl at firinn.org
Wed Mar 2 11:28:16 EST 2005
On Mar 01, Karsten Behrmann [BearPerson at gmx.net] wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:08:58 -0800
> Seth Alan Woolley <seth at positivism.org> wrote:
> > I say go ahead, it's completely unusable as it is. Probably not our
> > fault in the end, but bit-rot and poor documentation on their build
> > process.
> > I'll be first in line to test when you give the go.
> I'd probably help testing too with mozilla-related things, since currently
> my mozilla (with mail client) refuses to start and just comes up with a
> sigsegv, regardless of whether ~/.mozilla exists.
K, time to test. I just submitted a version to devel that builds here and
runs without menu errors. I haven't gone very deep into if the functions
work yet, since none of my mail is pop/imap and you all can test it better
than I can.
1) Make sure you rm -rf ~/.thunderbird /usr/lib/thunderbird1.0/ before
casting this. These both have caches that *will* cause the errors to
remanifest, and dispel misses the cache files in /usr/lib/thunderbird1.0/
2) I've only tried a basic build of this, no enigmail or mathml or
ldap/etc. If other people could help try some of those permutations and
verify they work as well I would appreciate it. I spent all day yesterday
building and rebuilding with different flags so now that I have a working
one I figured you'd want it ASAP.
All I changed was adding mozconfig as the base to configure, and commenting
out some configure flags:
a) the ones already in mozconfig
b) all the compiler optimizations
(I also removed all debug message disabling to check what's going on for
now, so be prepared for debug output.) It's possible using the mozconfig
extensions/necko_protocols list is what fixed it, but I doubt it because we
were already using the same neck_protocols and the only difference in the
extensions list is that they include webservices. However, our old build
actually had 2 --enable-extensions lines to ./configure, so it's possible
this was doing something. It's either going to be this or the compiler
optimizations. I'll test reenabling some things until it breaks again.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 232 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/sm-discuss/attachments/20050302/652dfd59/attachment.bin
More information about the SM-Discuss