[SM-Discuss] Sorcery test/stable

Andrew afrayedknot at thefrayedknot.armory.com
Wed Apr 13 12:25:37 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:10:50AM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 06:39:13AM -0500, Chris Dombroski wrote:
> > Andrew Stitt wrote:
> >
> > >Its been a week since any bugs have come in with test sorcery and for the
> > >most part the previous few weeks before that were uneventful. Barring
> > >something major coming up tomorrow, Stable Sorcery 1.12.0 will be
> > >released.
> > >
> > >In other words, now is your last chance to derail the train :-)
> > >Im /sure/ that someone will update stable after the release and find
> > >a problem, dont let that happen to you, you can test test sorcery out
> > >now while we have a chance to (quickly) fix it. Dont hesitate. The fate
> > >of stable sorcery rests in your hands.
> > >
> > >Okay, enough shaking the please-test-sorcery tree.
> > >
> > >-Andrew
> > >

> > Ok , fine. After a new install test sorcery runs into problems creating
> > temporary directories due to the permissions of /tmp /tmp is sgid after
> > installation and causes temporary sorcery directories to not match the
> > permissions sorcery thinks they should have.
>
> Isnt that an installer problem? /tmp should have the sticky bit not that sgid
> bit right?

I added a workaround for this problem in sorcery. I added a chmod a-s for
/tmp/sorcery, that should remove the suid/sgid bits. However if /tmp is
owned by someone other than root:root then the function will still fail
(which is what we want), this should workaround the problem without
impacting security too much.

I'll give this fix another day or two of soak time (new test
1.12.0-rc11). You know what to do.

(and Im not sending another warning email in a day or two, you've all been
warned nearly enough)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt                           | astitt at sourcemage.org    |
|irc: afrayedknot                          | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus    | acedit at armory.com        |
|Sorcery Team Lead                         | ftp://t.armory.com/         |