[permaculture] Bruce Charles 'Bill' Mollison 1928-2016 /Co-originator of Permaculture

scott at permaculture.org scott at permaculture.org
Sun Sep 25 19:07:15 EDT 2016

Farewell my dear old traveling companion, you will be sorely missed by the "TROOPS".  Your boisterous laughter and outlandish stories (that I always disbelieved and was always proven wrong in that disbelief), astonishing facts dropped like bread crumbs leading an enraptured audience back to our planetary home, and what an inspirational mentor for all of us!

I was a friend and traveled with Bill from 1984 until 1997; from Kathmandu to the Former Soviet  Union (where Bill was inducted into the Russian Academy, and was awarded the Vavilov metal, both singular honors that Bill met with the comment "more honor no cash".)  We traveled from Indonesia to southern Brazil where we gave the first permaculture class in that country in protest of the "sham" U.N. Environmental Summit of 1991.  We covered most of Latin America and the U.S.A. in a kind of barnstorming approach to healing the Earth.  I can't remember how many august Statesmen, bureaucrats, 1%ers, famous personalities that Bill insulted along our route but he didn't miss many.  His reputation preceded him and soon the big names no longer showed up but sent their lower assistants to take the heat for their ridiculous responses to a world in disarray.

I can't imagine having a better teacher in this life, Bill was the ultimate pedagogue.  He was so damed articulate, and never forgot a name and function of anything.  I always worried when he walked into the lecture hall when I was a teaching, knowing that, somehow, I would stumble over my words, but he never once corrected me in a way that I felt shamed or diminished.  He was a true mentor.  He was also sharp tongued and lashing if the mood struck him.

For all the miles we traveled I am thankful to this legendary figure and know he is holding forth on high bereft of his aura and his chakras as he always claimed were missing at his birth.  I can imagine him leading the heavenly choir in a chorus of "my father was the keeper of the edison llight, played with mermaids every night ...."

Good bye old friend,

Scott Pittman