[permaculture] EcoAg Partners

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 14:25:43 EDT 2016

Afew comments on EcoAg.  I have been tracking them a bit for a couple ofdecades (even before they coined the term ecoag).  They came out of (Ibelieve) the World Resources Institute in Washington DC.  I highlyrecommend everyone read their 2004 book Ecoagriculture,by Jeffrey A. McNeeely and Sara J. Scherr. 2004. Island Press. On pages100-103 they compare quite a number of models of agriculture and naturalresource management, including permaculture and HM.  This book laid thegroundwork for what they call ecoagriculture. It is interesting to note that they do not mention Biodynamics or GrowBiointensive in their comparisons.   Their assessment of permaculture was not correct.Whoever wrote that section is not very conversant with permaculture and so theydid not rate it that highly compared to their own ecoagriculture. I would begto differ.  I wish permaculture had anorganization that was as well funded as Ecoag.  Ijust spent some time looking around their very impressive website.  They are doing lots of great work, have lotsof great on-the-ground partners and have useful publications and analyses.  Well worth studying.   Aword of caution.  Their staff are, by andlarge, highly educated, university-trained, highly paid professionals. This isnot the grassroots.  Rather this is partof the reform wing within the establishment that recognizes that a dead world isn’tgood for business.  They are tied in withbig funders and unlikely to bite the hand that feeds them.  They are not likely to lead a change in whocontrols the world’s power.  They are reformers rather than radicals. They have good connections with the World Bank, IUCN, UN agencies,etc.  In other words they are part of theestablishment.  Thatsaid, I would encourage collaboration with them where possible (withoutcompromising principles). I don’t expect that, by and large, they will welcomepermaculture as a whole within their fold. We are too radical andgrass-roots.  However, individuals aremore likely to be open to collaboration then the organization as a whole.   Of course, I’d be happy to hear the opinions of other peoplewho are familiar with them and their work. I have my biases.
- Michael Pilarski

    On Friday, October 14, 2016 10:17 AM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com> wrote:

 Attn: Steve

>From the Sanet thread:

Kris Johnson writes:

EcoAg Partners, as an organization, seems to be doing good work, as related
here in Kenya

http://ecoagriculture.org/project/farming-with-nature-
in-the-highlands-of-kenya/

There values are good
http://ecoagriculture.org/about/#values

Our Vision

EcoAgriculture Partners strives for a world where agricultural communities
manage their landscapes to simultaneously enhance rural livelihoods,
conserve biodiversity and ecosystem services, and sustainably produce
crops, livestock, fish, and fiber.

Our Values

EcoAgriculture Partners emphasizes respect for cultural diversity and
self-determination. We work with a wide range of partners and collaborators
– from farmers and community organizations to international businesses,
policy makers, and donors – providing direct support, education, training,
research, and policy analysis to help these groups participate in and
benefit from effective landscape management.

and they have good bios on their team, which is quite extensive, and their
board.

LL writes:

That is all good. I hope they are able to follow through with
implementation of their program through their client corporations.
This seems like a new thing and I hope we see more organizations getting
involved in similar efforts
This use of the term landscapes is new to me; I have never run across that
until now.
When will they get involved with permaculture, the logical strategy for
them to make use of.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com