[permaculture] [growingsmallfarms] Rotating solanaceous crops

dhondt dhondt at eircom.net
Sat May 28 16:20:48 EDT 2016

The John spoken of grew potatoes without ever spraying in West Cork,
Ireland for 30 years. Being on the SW slope of a mountain our rainfall
was substantially more than in even most of Ireland.
And we started off on subsoil and rock. where it was impossible to put
in drains. Where we could do that the drains filled up with peat/turf
debris in a year or two.
So we grew potatoes in compost spread out over the rock year after year.
And after 30 years  we had quite a good soil that needed no drains since
there were plenty of worm holes.

We soon noticed when we were still rotating that volunteer potatoes (and
you always have those if you don't use roundup) did extremely well so we
tried not rotating and still had very good results. The only thing
special we did was to put all potato stems, leaves and roots down right
where they had grown and cover the lot again with a thin layer of compost.

Taigasc (State agricultural research) confirmed my findings but
concluded after tests that my method was not easy to commercialize. To
patent this system you need to know exactly which species of soil
organism seems to eat and suppress blight. And then you would need to
find a way to culture it in vitro before you could turn it into money. I
did not want to waste my life doing that (and I have some practical
experience) And Taigasc did not either. They went for  a gmo potato. And
they probably still get paid by the chemical industry for telling
farmers to spray.

One more thing. I mixed up a great many varieties when planting and grew
about a hundred new potatoes from real seed. Some varieties such as the
old lumper I was never able to grow without them dying of blight but
that event was not enough to make the other potatoes get diseased.

John