[permaculture] Leaving the Evil Empire of Facebook — Medium

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 23:37:05 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Linda Ray <lindaray at att.net> wrote:

> The problem I see with programs like facebook is, there doesn't seem to be
> any real way to track and/or recover valuable data, so it isn't a useful
> learning tool. That means all it's good for is logistics and gossip. That
> could be a bad combination.
>
> It *is* a great tool for whipping up lots of people who aren't inclined to
> think for themselves, and getting them swept up into somebody else's
> emotional agenda, without having to be fettered by trackable facts.
> IMO that makes it an instrument whose only use is peer pressure by those
> who are susceptible to brainless emotionalism, and by those who want to
> manipulate others by using peer pressure. Bad juju IMHO.
> For anyone whose passion is learning, there is nothing of substance on
> Facebook.
>
> Namaste,
> Linda :-)

You stated the basic fact so precisely I can hardly add a thing. Classic &
thanks, Linda, you really nailed it.
All this certainly falls under the domain of the three permaculture ethics.
This list neither adds or takes away anything from discussion. It is just a
vehicle for conversation, a plain brown wrapper, generic online public
resource, digital paper and pencil. FarceBunk is a tool for surveillance
and intelligence gathering. Every list in existence probably is also. FB,
Twitter, Instagram, Imgur, Pinterest, Reddit are not places to go to
develop and deploy a collaborative knowledgebase. This list is far beyond
any social media resource in that respect. The better ones of those are
about news worth reading to stay properly informed through cascading
comments and links to external sites, Tsu, Voat,  Snapzu, Hubski and
Google+ and sometimes Reddit, Pinterest and Ello are a few of those This
list can do the same thing and you can do highly organized searches of the
archives, something not possible with social media.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com