[permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)

dhondt dhondt at eircom.net
Wed Aug 3 17:31:51 EDT 2016

It is not as simple as the big ones eat the small ones in nature
Michael. The big predators are necessary for the health of ecosystems.
Take out the apex predators and often you see everything collapsing with
some of the smaller ones that were kept in check now exploding and
pushing out several entire species. In other words, making the whole a
lot poorer.
Nature is not simply amoral. It strives for maximal biomass and that
means maximal diversity. And that means lots of eating and getting eaten.

Then some new species like our own comes along with one new trick that
nature had never seen : long distance weapons. At first spear throwers
and bow and arrow and shortly afterwards rockets and rifles that can
kill from more than a mile distance. And bing a new species that not yet
fits in to nature we are causing the sixth extinction and maybe the
destruction of the world.

Our ideas of justice or injustice only cover our own species up to a
point and when there were very few of us that made survival sense. Now
it is lethal.
And no, I do not know what to do about this except think about it.
John