[permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on go

Stephen Sherman spsherm at msn.com
Fri Sep 18 18:59:09 EDT 2015

What I mean by plant location is the class of GMO plants which produce
their own insecticide systemically.  Bt corn as an example:

Bt was/is an approved organic insecticide. Before GMO corn it was
sprayed on and would eventually wash off. With the variants of Bt GMO
corn however, all cells in the corn plant make Bt, including the parts
which humans and animals eat. Traces of the Bt toxin can now be found in
most Americans and in infant amniotic fluid. I have not heard of any
studies, but I suspect the same would be true of the animals fed this
corn. This GMO crop has taken a relatively safe insecticide which was
applied only to the exterior of the plant, and make it systemic
throughout the plant. Cannot be washed off or peeled off.

There is no recognition that changing the delivery mechanism of an
insecticide has the potential to change exposure amounts and whether or
not it is still safe. As we have seen, it certainly changes its
distribution and accumulation in the animals (including humans) which
eat that crop.