[permaculture] Planting ground nuts (apios americana)

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Nov 13 04:05:58 EST 2015

 Bob, my squirrel information is a little uncertain. One tuber in a
 flower plot at the park edge was dug up by a squirrel in the fall.
 Several attempted plantings in the woods where there are a lot of
 squirrels have failed. A few plantings near the park boundary and houses
 (fewer squirrels, maybe more walnut trees) have succeeded brilliantly. A
 wildlife biologist friend tells me that A. americana is dug up and eaten
 by deer in some places. We do have deer that visit but they avoid the
 park edges near the houses.

 Doug Woodard
 St. Catharines, Ontario