[permaculture] Planting ground nuts (apios americana)

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Mon Nov 9 20:10:36 EST 2015

Thanks for this interesting update.  I will go searching for some
Stachys affinis seed and give it a try.  I sent a FB message to Eric
Tonsmeier and he replied that they are now using hog peanut instead of
the stachys. http://apiosinstitute.org/amphicarpaea-bracteata-hog-peanut.

Most of mine are planted in tubs and that also is because I am on an
urban lot of 1/7th acre with two buildings (1500 and 750 sq ft), a
driveway, 240 linear ft of sidewalks (x 5= 1200 sq ft of sidewalks).  So
I have a bit less than 3K sq ft to work with, but we do a lot with
that.  I've been gardening in these tubs for several years, and its
become a pretty rich soil environment. Lots of worms in the tubs.   I
also had 6 Chinese yam seeds someone gave me and I planted them in two
tubs.

I had a message from Eric who said that they were now growing hog peanut
with the sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes. this was the first return in a
google search.  I am not sure if this was instead of the Apios or
instead of the crosne.