[permaculture] space for food self reliance?

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Sat Nov 7 00:14:27 EST 2015

You can buy it directly from Ecology Action for $28.50, plus some
shipping presumably.

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/One-Circle-How-To-Grow-A-Complete-Diet-in-Less-than-1000-Square-Feet/productinfo/BEA-0370/

I think its worth the investment.

Their selection is rooted in their experience, research, and no doubt
also in the likes/dislikes of the researchers. They are located near
Santa Cruz in California, so climate's an issue there too.   The book
talks a lot about the tradeoffs between "nutrient dense" crops and
"calorie dense" crops. i.e. Kale is a powerhouse of nutrition, but how
much kale would you have to eat to satisfy your calorie needs, lol?
More than most of us would be willing to consume.

The book does suggest that advanced gardeners, with "experienced"
gardens (several years of compost applications and careful tending)
could raise a full vegan diet using these crops in only 1,000 square
feet.  The 4,000 sq ft estimate is for those with less fertile soil and
less experience in growing.  They also were using their biointensive
cultivation system involving the double digging of garden beds.  I have
used my book so much the covers have fallen off. I bought it in the
early 1990s, and my version includes "slide rules" that you can copy and
cut out and use to do the calculations.  I used to know how to use a
slide rule and in fact owned one.  But I wouldn't know what to do with
one now, but seeing that in the book reminded me that there are
sustainable technologies, like the slide rule, for complex calculations
that don't require conflict minerals and etc.

Bob Waldrop, Okie City

On 11/6/2015 1:23 PM, Georg Parlow wrote:
> Thank you, Lawrence, for the input and the great pics!
>
> No worries about the lawn - this is why I wrote "..when SHTF we can dig up the lawn.." because until then we will need the beauty, and the place for kids to play :-)
>
> Thanx Bob for the except, because all I see on the web is used copies from $50 up..
> But this is a weird suggestion IMHO. Hard to imagine how people are willing to go without winter squash and beans. And since filberts are included, we are not just talking annuals here - if so, what about all the fruit and other nut species?
> I personally would not grow wheat, but rather spelt instead. I avoid wheat - doesn’t always work in our wheat-drenched world, but I do my best.
>
> Georg
>

>> Am 06.11.2015 um 18:53 schrieb Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Bob Waldrop <bob at bobwaldrop.net> wrote:
>>
>>> collards