[permaculture] FW: New rocket mass heater kickstarter

June Ipers junipers at zoho.com
Thu Mar 12 16:13:58 EDT 2015

Wow.
I really didn't expect to see posts like these left unmoderated, but I
suppose when one of the moderators is one of the people spewing hate, I
guess this list just tolerates uncivil behavior.

I'd like to echo Chris's thoughts on this matter and encourage people to
wash their dirty laundry in private. I personally don't want to have it.

I currently help out on the Permie forums as a moderator and have been a
member since 2010, and I can assure people that we have a zero-tolerance
for this kind of bad behavior, it's called the "be nice" rule. It
usually makes unkind people angry at us for shushing them. So be it.

As for other sentiments of Paul's forays into capitalism by way of
permaculture, I would urge people to consider that:

1) We live in capitalism. Expecting other people to be pure and
untouched by capitalism gets us nowhere. If encouraging people to be
millionaires while regenerating vast swaths of land with permaculture
design isn't your thing, great. Nobody is forcing you to hang out with
people who do.
2) Other people have different strategies for making the world a better
place. While I personally do not subscribe to 100% of what Paul has to
offer, I respect his right to voice that opinion and I feel he is moved
by the desire to do good.
3) The results of Permies have been positive. More people being
introduced to permaculture. More people getting quality advice about how
to move forward their own permaculture projects, and a forum where
people don't feel gang-raped just for posting (see other forums around
the web). Inasmuch as this can be attributed to Paul Wheaton's "empire
building", I believe he deserves people's respect.
4) Paul is active in supporting anything that moves permaculture
forward. This is of course infused by what he believes is the "best" of
permaculture. Just off the top of my head this would include: Mark
Shepard, Toby Hemenway, Willie Smits, Geoff Lawton, Permaculture Voices,
Fukuoka and Larry Korn. So....if we are going to banish Paul from the
permaculture earth, out with him goes a huge megaphone for all those
great things we all agree are cool. Thanks for that!

As for the original qualm that set this all in motion, the forum mass
mailing:
Usually 99.9% of Paul's mass messages go to 2 *opt-in* newsletters, one
is daily-ish. The other happens hardly ever. Then, once in a blue moon
there is a mass mail to forum users. The official policy on mass mailing
to forum users is that anyone can opt out, so if Scott didn't want to
receive that e-mail, it was his fault for not opting out previously.

William

>>> http://permacultureforum.blogspot.com