[permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Mon Apr 20 13:20:24 EDT 2015

I have an idiosyncratic book called “History of the Italian Agricultural Landscape,” by Emilio Sereni (we do collect some weird stuff, yes?). Since the Middle Ages some Italians have grown grapes in polyculture with chestnuts, olives, and wheat (though usually by alley cropping each, not as mixed guilds).

There is a system called alberata which is rows of trees (often mulberry or a forage tree) with grapes entwining the bare lower trunks and running between the trees. Often these ran along roads, or were done along terraces with stone walls to collect heat. Haven’t looked at the book for a while, but it’s a detailed history from Roman times to now.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Coming in July: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Pre-order it at on-line booksellers or at http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_permaculture_city/