[permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 05:18:59 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Koreen Brennan <cory8570 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks much for posting all those great resources Lawrence. You are the
> resource king!

Thanks! I work at it; information-obsessed, save everything I find
everything interesting on the web, email, eml, html, mht, maff, doc, txt,
pdf, etc.all formats useful for archival.

> Have you heard of locallygrown.net?

Yes. There is a Durham, NC affiliate nearby, Durham Locally Grown, goMarketNC,
http://durham.locallygrown.net/market
Look at the list of markets in their system!
http://locallygrown.net/markets/list

In my previous post about cooperatives I forgot to include online markets
and online food hubs. They are the wave of the future! This is the
direction to go if you are a grower, micro, small, medium or large
wanting to sell locally. I can't see a need for any alternative to
locallygrown unless an individual wants to set up an online market just for
themselves, i.e. an "online" stand in addition to or instead of a roadside
or farm stand. Cooling facilities, walk-ins, freezers and refrigerators
could be made available to producers involved in cooperatives, located at
the hubs, i.e. the people running each locallygrown.net affiliate hub;
growers could chip in to purchase these if funds were not otherwise
available to the hub operator.

We have a few of those going in our area, it's a great way for local urban
> farmers to find a marketplace on line and then deliver in person. They
> don't have to harvest crops until they sell them and they make 80% of the
> profits. Pretty sweet system.

This is the essence of efficiency and maximization of profit for all
involved in the system, a true win-win situation offering great benefits to
customers.

We also have a cooperative farmer's market and urban farming system,
> another one our graduates did that. There is a movement to get libraries to
> save seeds and tool share (a couple of them are "lending" out seed - the
> person is supposed to save seed from the crop and return some to the
> library for the next person). For whatever reason, maybe because recession
> is still hitting us here, alternative economies have caught on, with some
> people at least.

Seed libraries and tool libraries are also great systems. There should be
entire networks of them all across the country. Also very worthwhile would
be equipment libraries, i.e. farm tractors and implements, trucks, dump
trucks, even combines. Think about it, one tractor 50hp or 70hp, depending
on farmers needs and implements available, plus appropriate implements such
as rotavator, field cultivator, subsoiler, Yeomans plow, bottom plow,
hiller-bedder, seed spreader, fertilizer and lime spreader, round bale
transporter, flail mower, bush hog mower, everything needed for field crops
and raised bed prep and maintenance, all could be shared by a dozen or more
farms located within easy driving distance from a central equipment storage
location; members could share in purchase and maintenance expenses. All
participating members could also use all the cooperative marketing and
distribution resources we have listed and described here so far, especially
the online coop producer food hub.

Thanks for all the great information about what is going on in your areas
and what your students have done and the directions they are headed
creating local resources; it is so inspirational.

Cheers,

LL