[permaculture] Rock Dust

Koreen Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 06:28:06 EST 2013

I believe that minerals are key soil amendments in most cases. In so many areas, the soils have been demineralized. When rock dust is pulverized very fine, it is available faster. I use both seaweed and azomite. I've seen results with finely pulverized azomite in the first season with seedlings, without using much of it. I planted seeds in soil with rock dust and without and there was a definite difference in size and health of the plants. I would advise everyone who is not already doing so to test your products/soil mixes with seeds/seedlings - it's not a comprehensive test but the results are very easy to see.

I'm using the course azomite with trees. The jury is still out on that - have not been doing it long enough to tell the difference.  I use a large handful per tree when I'm planting it, at the bottom of the hole. I have seen others get results with azomite or other minerals - healthier plants, plants that fruit when they were not fruiting before, etc. But they also added microbes, worm castings and fertility.

I also use seaweed in sheet mulch, and the minerals are more available than with rock dust. I have had some plants burn when they hit a patch of concentrated seaweed, but some have had no bad response and are performing well.  I have several beds with different fertility and structure in them - goat manure, seaweed, biochar, horse manure, worm castings, hugulkulture, etc. So far, there is not much difference. The manure beds are doing slightly better and the worm castings are doing the best (no surprise). I just added biochar, jury is still out.

Seaweed needs to be replaced yearly or regularly. In Florida, the nutrients can get washed through the sand into the nether realms. Course rock dust lasts longer, years or more - more stable. So putting both seaweed and rock dust in soils will give best of both worlds.

A friend uses azomite and microbes in a rainbarrel to raise shrimp and they are doing great and the water stays clear. He also has tons of plants in there. This is all anecdotal stuff at this point, not enough controls in what I do to make it scientific.

The problem with all of these methods, the way I do them, is that they are inexact and get mixed results. It isn't the same as adding 3 cups of kelp, 2 of bone meal, etc, that organic growers use. I should probably try to do more of the "three cups vs one cup" thing and see what happens. I have students and volunteers coming through and they usually do something random to my garden when I'm not looking, though!

The one thing I do that gets consistent great results immediately is to add pee to the garden. When I did that to plants that weren't doing well in mineralized soil (the soil itself was very crappy and dead soil - all I had at that time), the plants took off and started resisting pests, deep green leaves, fruiting well, etc. A few of my plants are very deeply healthy, stems, leaves, everything radiant and I feel this may be the overall mixture of soil, including minerals. The other ones may have not been there long enough for the mixture to kick in. I am installing a new system and am experimenting a lot with it, with the Florida soils, and will keep sharing as it progresses. I added minerals at Pine Ridge too last year so we'll see if there is a difference with the trees, this year.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition