[permaculture] Future Scenarios- STANDARDS ?

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 05:36:17 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Steve Hart
<stevenlawrencehart at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good to hear critical input on such a valuable topic. As Scott says this
> debate must lead to developing the whole discussion on STANDARDS.  The
> discussion on PC being all aboy design I absolutely agree with . For what
> it is in fact is a Design Philosophy developed from a set of Ethics through
> Principles. It is not methodology, or a set of recipes.
>
> My Rebuttal LL is more a further clarification or development on my
> comments about PRINCIPLES and the example of Hydroponics and Aquaponics.
>
> I support all the original Principles of the original and still the only
> qualified PDC curriculum. Offered here:

Based on what you and others have written in the past you continue to use
the typical straw man argument, opposing aquaponics and hydroponics in
design of permaculture systems
because it uses a completely artificial, synthetic environment, high energy
use, dependency on complicated equipment and chemical fertilizer. I would
agree with that for the same reasons I oppose conventional chemical,
synthetic land based agriculture. Aquaponics and hydroponics can be done
using a minimum of equipment, low energy inputs, recycling and reuse of
natural materials and nutrients, i.e. another Natural food production
system that is consistent with the entirety of permaculture, ethics,
principles, methods, materials, mission, all of it. Read mostly what Toby
has written about this and some of mine so you will come to the realization
that aquaponics and hydroponics can be natural, important technology that
is.useful in diversified food production systems on farms or homesteads.
Many beneficial microorganisms that are important if not critical in food
production agriculture propagate faster and form larger colonies in an
aqueous environment than in a soil environment. External energy inputs are
required to make it work but then you can always employ wind, solar, human
powered machines to supply this.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com