[permaculture] energy inputs and year round growing was Re: soilless crop production

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 13 12:37:06 EDT 2012

On 9/13/2012 8:07 AM, Bob Waldrop wrote:
> I doubt that the study discussed any social justice issues involved with
> moving food from poor countries to rich countries.  A few years ago, I
> had my roof replaced. The roofers were all from the same village in
> mexico.  They had been farmers in Mexico.  But then, one day the Mexican
> government showed up and said that their land, which they had been on
> for generations, was actually the property of a North American
> Corporation, so it was hasta la vista to their farms.  So it came to
> pass that they ended up fixing my roof in Oklahoma City, instead of
> growing food in Mexico. Now their land, which used to grow food for
> Mexicans, grows food for North Americans.

I campaign against this. If Mexicans can't grow and export that food on
their own land, privately owned or through their traditional "common
land" system, hundreds of years old, then Americans should do without
and develop local food networks to supply their food needs, eat what is
in season only or grow their own.

> I sometimes say that buying out of season produce during the winter,
> imported from the third world, is like snatching food from the mouths of
> hungry children.  Fiery rhetoric, no doubt, but I think it alas is true.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Right on, Bob.

See the video "The Violin".