[permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 28 17:44:53 EDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 3:56 PM, Frances and David wrote:
> a quick note about food processing the sprouts.
> we have tried different methods but recently purchased a food processor made
> by PC (Superstore). It has many excellent features and the S blade works
> great for this recipe (the fact that it is held in place really helps the
> process of unloading each batch as the whole mix is processed batch by
> batch). I have found it works best to stick to loosely loading up to 3 cups
> or less for each batch and to let it run until it becomes dough like and
> starts to bunch up and get kneaded by the S blade. This recent discovery has
> really elevated the level of our sprouted bread. It is now a nice smooth
> result that can rise and sour nicely over the hours that we leave it before
> putting it in the oven. (We left ours overnight this time and the result was
> great -- lots of even little holes throughout). Please keep in in mind that
> times and heating vary greatly for bread according to ovens and local
> climactic conditions. I've always found that fermented things do great here.
> This last bit, the souring of the bread is our last little tweak that has
> left us both thrilled and amazed.
> Also, when we go on to try additions, we will be looking into adding herbs,
> onion, garlic, that sort of thing. Maybe even a seed such as caraway or
> fennel.
> Also, to try out is baking on a pan. In preparation for possibly visiting
> places where a woodstove is the norm for cooking.
> fran

This is great information. I do not own a food processor but might be
tempted to buy one at some point just to make sprouted (and fermented
sour dough) bread. I will save your method for future use.

Caraway seed is used in rye bread and kraut to improve digestion and add
flavor. It is really good in dark German pumpernickel rye.

<>

You might enjoy these sayings I collected recently:

"Real poetry doesn't say anything, it just ticks off the possibilities."
Jim Morrison

"Never think you've seen the last of anything."
-Eudora Welty

“Do anything, but let it produce joy. Do anything, but let it yield
ecstasy.”
― Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

"A little decadence is not a bad thing, as a matter of fact, it's
refreshing!"

"It's a matter of discipline...When you've finished washing and dressing
each morning, you must tend your planet."
The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"He is born in vain, who having attained the human birth, so difficult
to get, does not attempt to realise God in this very life."
Sri Ramakrishna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Ramakrishna
Ramakrishna emphasised God-realisation as the supreme goal of all living
beings.

Ramakrishna looked upon the world as Maya and he explained that avidya
maya represents dark forces of creation (e.g. sensual desire, evil
passions, greed, lust and cruelty), which keep people on lower planes of
consciousness. These forces are responsible for human entrapment in the
cycle of birth and death, and they must be fought and vanquished. Vidya
maya, on the other hand, represents higher forces of creation (e.g.
spiritual virtues, enlightening qualities, kindness, purity, love, and
devotion), which elevate human beings to the higher planes of
consciousness.[93]

The principal source for Ramakrishna's teaching is Mahendranath Gupta's
Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita and is regarded as a Bengali
classic.[80][81] Kripal calls it "the central text of the tradition".
The text was published in five volumes from 1902 to 1932. Based on
Gupta's diary notes, each of the five volumes purports to document
Ramakrishna's life from 1882–1886.[82]

The most popular translation of the Kathamrita is The Gospel of Sri
Ramakrishna by Swami Nikhilananda. Nikhilananda's translation rearranged
the scenes in the five volumes of the Kathamrita into a linear sequence.

[I think used copies of The Gospel are available through a Google search
for sources; friends of mine had copies of this book during the sixties. LL]