[permaculture] pc aquaponics

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 12:50:54 EDT 2012

Koreen, my Dad grew up in Florida, after moving their as a boy from
Illinois.  He lived on both Atlantic and Gulf coasts, and we've been there  many
times to visit extended family who still live in the Ft. Lauderdale  area.
I, on the other hand, grew up along the Front Range of the Rockies,  where
water was such a scarcity, all the time.  I remember my first trip to
Florida, and I didn't even marvel at the beaches or the sun or the warmth.   But
rather, the greenery and the WATER.  Oh, you folks seemed wealthy in  water!
Only later was I to learn that water is actually as precious in  Florida as
it is just about everywhere else.

There was a brilliant man named Maynard Murray, MD, who in the  mid 20th
centuries got to wondering about using seawater for agriculture.   He started
doing experiments on the side, bringing in railroad cars of seawater  to his
native Ohio and applying the seawater in varying amounts, at varying
concentrations and dilutions, straight to farmland.  His theory was that
seawater is the great receptacle of nutrients (good, bad and otherwise as we  have
since learned).  His work as a physician exposed him to a tremendous  amount
of nutrient deficiency and the health issues that arise from nutrient
imbalance in the human body.  One of his leaps of brilliance was that we
shouldn't be fertilizing the plant, but rather fertilizing the soil.  A  subtle
but crucial difference, which has since been seconded and built upon by  other
brilliant people.  Another leap of brilliance on his part was that  the
human body has much the same preferred ratios of nutrients, that seawater  has,
in terms of nutrient ratios in combination with each other.  Other
scientists of the time (and even now) were looking for that magic bullet to  solve
all the problems, or looking for single answers to solve single  problems.
He was one of the first to document that when you provide all  the
nutrients, in the correct ratios to each other, even at very weak dilutions  overall,
the body rises into a state of health previously only dreamt of.   But his
genius didn't end there.  He knew from his formal scientific  training that
no one would ever believe his theories even with the research he  was able
to do on his own.  So yet another brilliant notion he had was to  engage the
assistance of the various land grant universities in his upper  midwest area
(and eventually throughout the USA), to test his ideas right there  on the
farm.  Without going through the whole thing, farmers across the  board saw
better yields, less disease, less pests, greater livestock health,
dramatically reduced incidence of pregnancy loss, newborn weakness, and failure  to
grow.  Things like "the runt of the litter", which is such a rule in hog
husbandry that folks just generally assume it'll happen (even today),
basically  evaporated under his nutrient supplementation guidelines.  And it was
both  plants and animals, not just this-or-that crop or animal or particular
disease  issue.

Now, why he didn't win a Nobel for that, I have no idea.  He already  was
centuries ahead of his time, and even today 70 years later a lot of folks
have never heard of him.  But he wasn't done yet.  He was using more  and more
water, shipped to him in railcars, that he eventually simply moved to
....... FLORIDA........... to continue his research.  And when there, he
grabbed onto the brand new idea of hydroponics as a stellar new way to bypass  the
mistakes made by generations previously, and just jump right into building
healthy, diversified cropping systems, right from the get-go.  So the rest
of his career was spent working with and perfecting hydroponic methods,
based on  sea water as a source for most of the nutrients.  He wrote a single
book  about all his experiences, called Sea Energy Agriculture.  It went out
of  print for awhile but Acres USA brought it back, and it's still available
through  them.  When I read his little book (non-technical and can be
easily read in  a weekend) I remember thinking "why isn't everyone doing
this?????"  But  alas, some of our best pioneers call to us and amidst the din of
life, we don't  hear them.

Now, right about the time I was looking to reading his book, I was also
starting to hear mention of this thing called aquaponics.   And it  seemed
like a really interesting idea to me, because the strength of Dr.  Murray's
approach was to bring ALL the trace nutrients, in the correct balance,  into
the equation.  But what about the macronutrients?   His book  doesn't talk as
much about that.  Yet here's aquaponics, where the fish are  providing a lot
of the mactronutrients, but perhaps need the trace nutrients to  balance
out the approach.  It seemed to me a match made in heaven, because  this would
be nearly a perpetual motion machine, as someone else mentioned  aquaponics
is sometimes marketed as.  But this time, the ingredients aren't  merely
showing up magically out of thin air. Instead, they are all around us,
covering 70% of the earth's surface, provided by the motion of the planet and  the
living systems already in place.  All we have to do is marry the two
ideas.

I'm sure it's a lot more involved than that, and I would dearly love to
spend an inordinate amount of time fussing with it to see if I could get it to
 work.  To my knowledge, no one has experimented with this enough that
they've worked out all the kinks, then made that information public  knowledge.
 Sadly, this is where the trail went cold for me  personally.  I did follow
up with Dr. Murray's research, and apparently a  relative (son, brother,
something along those lines) took his research into the  marketplace, and
<sadly, or even tragically> protected a lot of the last  30 years' worth of
research as proprietary information, which folks can buy via  their product
line.  But as for information in the public realm?   Nope.

So that's as much information as I have on the topic of marrying seawater
to crop/livestock nutrition, whether in soil-based or soilless media
systems.  It seems to me there is tremendous potential there, but I don't  know if
anyone is looking into it.  One of the things I love about the
permaculture culture (if I can call it that) is the notion of shared information  for
public benefit.  I think if there was ever a community of folks to take  this
idea and run with it, it would be the PC community.  I wish I could  grab
this idea myself and really work it through its paces.  I'm sure I'll  play
with it on a small scale at some point.  But I think this is at least  one
potential bright shining dawn.  An end to mined minerals from  Location A,
then shipping them to Location B, to put them right back into the  ground
again.  We'd still have to ship the minerals from the coast to the  inland areas,
but perhaps there are kinder gentler ways to do so?  And in  what
proportions?  All those discoveries await.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 10/9/2012 4:52:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,