[permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus

loren luyendyk loren at sborganics.com
Mon Oct 8 00:26:15 EDT 2012

control = work

the leaves and seeds are not only edible but very nutritious:

http://www.eattheweeds.com/amaranth-grain-vegetable-icon/

perhaps the amaranth is replacing soil nutrients that are lacking.  they have deep tap roots and are dynamic acculmulators:

"Amaranth, also known as pigweed is another great dynamic accumulator.
It grows well with corn, onions, pepper and eggplant.  It helps tomatoes
 to be more resistant to harmful insects and also helps potatoes yield
more abundantly.  It also helps loosen soil for root vegetables such as
beets, carrots and radishes.  Since it is a weedy species, harvest it
and keep it thinned.  It happens to produce both edible leaves and
seeds."

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/garden-companion-planting.html

Loren Luyendyk
805-452-8249