[permaculture] Brief comments on Natural Farming

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 2 13:29:03 EDT 2012

More interesting observations from Iyo:

[edited by me]
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [fukuoka_farming]
Date: 	Tue, 02 Oct 2012 15:48:46 -0000
From: 	iyo_farm <iyo.farm at ymail.com>

<...>

The concept and theory of Natural Farming has a far greater circle of
influence into one's own life and the world around us. At this moment,
accepted, it is very weak in the world but if practised on a personal
level requires and creates change in the person and has far reaching
ramifications.

<...>

Natural Farming also has a social aspect, the nature of the society of
Natural Farming, its relationship with its close neighbours such as the
Permiesculturists, and opposing cultures such as industrial agriculture.

If someone is to adopt "Natural Farming" as a purely marketing device, I
would say it is no longer Natural Farming. If "Big Ag" were tomorrow run
out of fossil fuels and steam wholesale into "Natural Farming" as they
are currently in Organic Farming ... applying their same politics and
exploitative mode of operation ... then I would say it is unnatural
farming again.

(Totalitarianism, exploitation of land rights and labor etc are not
Natural Farming)

I think Permaculture and Natural Farming are far too small and intricate
theories for big business to ever be interest but it will come and rob
whatever is of value that it can, and some people will sell out to it
for the money. Again, just as in the wholefoods world, organic farming
and environmental movements.

So the cultures and leaders of these movements are worth watching.

Some people will be unhappy with exacting discussion. They want FNF or
PC to be an escapist dream, a sounds good business device, a cult even.
They don't want to observe closely and question. Imagine if Fukuoka were
observing this discussion and seeing it as one of his fields, how would
he deal it?