[permaculture] Pure Water Revolution- NOT

John D'hondt dhondt at eircom.net
Tue May 8 15:41:50 EDT 2012

Just a few thoughts.
First of all it might be a good idea to make a water filtering devise where
a community gets its dirty water instead of letting every household do it's
own thing. It is not easy to make an effective water filtering devise on a
very small scale except that one can of course sell more units.
If pathogens are the problem with dirty water it might be a good idea to use
a hay or straw bed/layer first because there an ecosystem of cilliates can
develop that eats bacteria. Below that layer of sand followed by a layer of
charcoal would be a good follow up to that.
Distilling water is a hugely costly business in terms of energy and
inpractical I think unless direct solar heating could be used. Even then, it
will be hard going to produce enough water for a family to drink. The system
you describe with extracting water from vegetation by means of a plastic
sheet and a cup can indeed produce a cup of water after a few hours but even
a small family of four will need at least ten liters per day and that system
can not provide that.
john