[permaculture] Sampling of bee and other pollinator sightings this year by list subscribers wherever you are.

John & Maia O'Brien johnandmaia at gmail.com
Sat May 5 18:15:13 EDT 2012

I am located in Olympia, Wa. Over the last 6 years, members of the Olympia
Beekeepers Association have experienced average hive losses similar to
other areas: 30-37%.

Over this last winter, this leaped up to an alarming 75-85% of hives. It's
not just amateurs making in beginner mistakes (we've had a huge influx of
new students to our apprentice program), but includes experienced
professionals with 40-50 years of experience managing bees. In addition
bumblebees and other pollinators are way down. Some of the 12 native
species of bumblebees in Washington have seen decreases of 97%.

Just within the past few weeks this was published by xerces.org, Xerces
Society for Invertebrate Preservation

http://www.xerces.org/neonicotinoids-and-bees/

Ya think maybe they're related? Duh. Xerces thinks so. If you don't read
the entire 44 page pdf report, at least read the executive summary.

John O'Brien