[permaculture] The next World food crisis?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue May 1 14:28:13 EDT 2012

On 5/1/2012 1:43 PM, Toby Hemenway wrote:
> A gentle redirect: I can relate to the satisfaction of delivering
> rage-filled rants, but, this being a permaculture list, I'd love to
> see some element of permacultural thinking in the responses to
> Dieter's question.
>
> It's a given that we abhor Monsanto and their stooges, and the horror
> stories are familiar to all of us, so what does a permaculturist do?
>
> Toby http://patternliteracy.com

What you and other highly skilled authors have done, Bill Mollison
and his students, Geoff Lawton, Darren Doherty, Scott Pittman, Paul
Wheaton, Sepp Holzer. On my 6+ acres I have done what most would never
consider doing, building a working permaculture site (all 6+ acres) and
a complex system of raised bed market garden sites untilled and unweeded
(except for the volunteer ash seedlings and the bamboo that has spread
from neighbors land. He is a landscape contractor and removed this
bamboo from a customer's yard, the same bamboo I planted
there myself when I was working for that same customer; I spent 16 years
as a landscape contractor. It is too bad I did not know about
permaculture then though I did practice it without knowing what it was).

Good permaculture video site:
http://www.permaculturenow.com/video.html

<>

Magnificent responses, BTW. Now I don't feel so bad about posting some
of my worst rants to the list in 20012. I hope they wake up those that
need to be awakened and are grateful for having been.

> On May 1, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Eisenhauer wrote:

Here in the American Gulag the USDA is currently rubber stamping approvals
for GMOs without any public comment while stating they will increase testing
for contamination by GMOs in organic agriculture.  This is no less than a
back door attack on organic sustainable agriculture.  It is their way of
destroying sustainable agriculture by promoting the contamination of our
biosphere with patented junk genes.  While these over leveraged monsters
push for the end of food freedom our population is experiencing skyrocketing
increases in cancer, autoimmune diseases and a societal degeneration into an
animalistic inhuman culture pushing war, death and depravity as answers to
any particular issue/problem.  A  culture of profit first and people last
with reverence for fascism is driving this policy of corporate supremacy.

Steven

<>