[permaculture] The next World food crisis?

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Tue May 1 14:20:42 EDT 2012

We had a discussion last week in our local Public Interest Forum
regarding Food Sovereignty. The need to voice the myriad problems
associated with the industrial/corporate food model was palpable, but
our moderator was persistent in keeping us on track to try and outline
solutions to avert a pending crisis.

Ken Morse, an intrepid campaigner for local food security, summed it
up fairly simply. "Grow food everywhere." He posited that it's the
only way that we can disempower the corporations from controlling the
food system, and allow the poor, especially in the global south, to
regain access to their land.

Seed sovereignty also was a lively topic in light of the rampant
patenting of life taking place, and so was basic reskilling.

So in answer to Toby's question I'd have to start with a slight
revision of his mantra:

"Grow Food Everywhere, Save Seed, Cooperate."

Back at it,
Scott

Scott Vlaun Moose Pond Arts+Ecology Design Solutions for a Sustainable
Future
35 Moose Pond Rd, Otisfield, Maine 04270 •  207-539-9042