[permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Preventing Contaminants in Home Compost Piles

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 6 17:32:59 EDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Preventing Contaminants in Home Compost Piles
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:13:00 +0100
From: West Hill Farm <info at WESTHILLFARM.ORG>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello All,

I've been lucky enough to have just completed two courses with Paul
Stamets of Fungi Perfecti, Olympia WA, and he has written an article in
the SOMA newsletter on using fungi to hyperaccumulate metals, esp
caesium 127,  and then convert soluble, bio-available compounds into
insoluble oxylates. (The Nuclear Forest Recovery Zone)  Link here:
http://www.somamushrooms.org/news/23/somanews23_8.pdf (go to Page 6.)
His website (www.fungi.com)  also has very relevant info on
mycogardening and mycorrhizeae to promote healthy garden and field crops.

With the current concerns in the US over the Spent Fuel Pool of Reactor
4 at Fukishima, using natural bioremediation methods may yet find favour
with the authorities.

Now back in the UK finding mushrooms in very unexpected places, doing
very important jobs!

Good to see SANET back in action offering practical advice and solving
problems!

Susi Batstone
West Hill Farm,
West Down,