[permaculture] History of Permaculture in North America

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 29 12:01:12 EST 2012

On 1/29/2012 5:25 AM, Michael Pilarski wrote:

> The History of the Permaculture Movement in North America
>
> A book proposal by Michael Pilarski
>
> I am proposing a group effort to produce a permaculture history for the
> US and Canada. Initially I can think of three major parts:
>
> 1) Stories by permaculture elders. Their own history and their
> perspective on permaculture history.
>
> 2) Histories of individual bioregions by collaborating authors who have
> been involved with the permaculture movement in their bioregion all along.
>
> 3) Youtube interviews with permaculturists about pc history. This of
> course can be open-ended and continuing
>
> Sections 1 and 2 can be published as an in-print book and as an on-line
> book as well.There can be on an on-line forum dedicated to updating the
> history as more people want to contribute to the effort.

I am now involved with three people in the creation of a comprehensive
seed and plant sourcelist as a Google Docs spreadsheet, Docs, Site,
Blog, Group and ibiblio mailing list, seedkeepers. These are proven,
excellent, robust tools to use to create the history. Individuals can
use Google Docs for their submissions while project editors can use hat
material to create a working draft and various versions of final
documents which can be made available through a Google site. Copies than
can be made available wherever anyone wants to host them, in their blog
or website, using open source information standards like Creative
Commons. Anyone wanting to turn it into an EBook or hardcopy published
work for profit should be encouraged to do so as long as credit is given
to the pc history project as a source.

> WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS COLLABORATIVE PROJECT?

I would.

What about creating a collaborative permaculture knowledgebase too?

The two would complement each other.

Could we derive energy from Paul Wheaton's ever-growing, vast,
multi-dimensional permaculture empire to help with his? That is to say,
involve people who participate in the forums at permies.com, like me for
example. There is so much incredibly good stuff happening there it is
mind boggling, and that is an understatement, coming from an information
junkie like me.

> It is possible that someone else may be working on such a book already.
> Please let me know if so.Have any bioregional histories been published?
> Or started?

I have no idea but could look around. Yours should be done anyway.

> For my own part I will compile a history of permaculture for two
> bioregions; the Maritime Pacific Northwest (Cascadia) and the Inland
> Pacific Northwest (Columbiana). I can do a first draft and float it to
> my peer groups for comments, changes, additions, perspectives, etc. I
> have been involved in permaculture in both bioregions continuously since
> 1981. For some years I published a regional paper called the Pacific
> Northwest Permaculture News & Gossip. I recall that Peter Bane, in the
> Permaculture Activist, once referred to me as perhaps the biggest
> permaculture gossip in the USA. Flattering at the time, but that was
> some years ago and I am sadly out of touch with developments in most
> other bioregions.

That would be extremely interesting to read.

> Here are some bioregions which have a strong permaculture history. I am
> not listing all the bioregions here and of course each of these has
> subset regions within it. Let’s see who answers the call. I am not
> proposing a comprehensive history, nor a concensus viewpoint. But you
> gotta start somewhere.
>
> Northeast US
>
> Mid-Atlantic Region
>
> Southeast US

In North Carolina resources of note include:

Lee Barnes
Chuck Marsh
Earthhaven (Peter Bane and Keith Johnson era)
The PDC teacher/lecturer/workshop host, NCSU faculty member in Raleigh
(can't remember his name)
Permaculture gathering at Celo, NC
Others

I wish there was more permaculture activity in the Central Piedmont
region of NC.

> Texas

Add Georgia (Koinonia) and Florida (Dan Hemenway), much happening there