[permaculture] Food forest project at Pine Ridge -assistance

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 08:59:53 EST 2012

Michael,

This is a wonderful selection! We could probably use most of these. We planted a number of these last year in our 600 tree planting, and I am looking forward to seeing how they did in that harsh climate. I need to research some of the below that i haven't worked with re: toxicity to livestock and invasiveness. I know the Eleangus have been a problem with invasiveness in some plains areas. Black Locust is highly toxic to horses, and would probably spread here, so even though it is an incredible permaculture plant and would have many uses, I am hesitant to put it into the systems - we have substituted honey locust which is fodder and which livestock love.  I'm working with the Extension Service and others to ensure I don't bring in anything invasive or that would be a problem for horses, cows or buffalo.

A general question for the list: I've been researching honey locust and have found contrary information regarding its nitrogen fixing abilities and how fast it rots. I love black locust for building because it rots so slowly. Some say honey locust rots slowly too - not as slowly as black locust. So, how slowly does it rot? We love the fact that we could coppice or pollard to get fence posts, for instance, and the tree grows back. There is some scientific evidence that honey locust fixes nitrogen even though it doesn't have the nodules. I haven't completed the research cycle yet, and wondering what anybody else has found out about this wonderful tree?

Are you using chokecherry at all? Buffaloberry, serviceberry, and currant are natives that some Lakota already eat, so those would be great. We would be interested in nut trees as well, are still researching what might do best here.

The winds can be harsh and drying, and sometimes it goes for weeks without rain in the dry season, starting mid to late summer and going into winter. It can freeze in June and August, though rare (May and Sept freezes are more common), and last year, hail the size of golf balls fell in July on parts of the rez (we had smaller hail that still cut big holes in leaves).

What zone are you working in? Do you have a paulownia that will survive in Zone 4? The ones we researched all said Zone 5, and we are far enough into Zone 4 that we hesitate, but are very interested in this tree as a lumber crop in silvoculture.  I worked with this tree in Los Angeles and what an awesome canopy tree for a food forest!  Don't know how it does in a temperate climate tho, especially a harsh one.

The Flathead reservation looks beautiful, at least in pictures. Wow, actual forests. :-))

We know that honey locust, cottonwood and cedar do great in the climate. Eleangus does too which is why it's invasive.  Cottonwood is a sacred tree used in Sundance and serves so many functions well, so that is an important one for the Lakota. I will interview those involved to see which of the below they would have most interest in, and can I get back to you once I do that?

I would love to exchange notes on projects as I"m sure there are similarities. It is a big project, and I'm a bit nervous about being able to pull it off, but the need is great and interest and reach is really there, so I want to try. I appreciate your help so much!

Best, Koreen