[permaculture] Elephants in Permaculture

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 8 20:52:28 EST 2012

On 2/8/2012 6:29 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> On 2/8/2012 3:51 PM, Ossi Kakko wrote:

>> investigate this issue with indigenous people, who have a lot of
>> practical wisdom with elephants - rather than to try to invent systems
>> without practical relationship with elephants.  Elephants are pretty
>> extensive pathways in forests.

> Oxen and draft horses, then.

If the layout of the agricultural region lends itself to regular
mechanical tillage, flatland village or community farming on contiguous
individually owned tracts or broadacre flatland farming, then either
machines or animals will have to do the tillage. If it is tractors &
implements then they require feeding with fossil fuel and they pollute a
lot, all of which is an added expense. With elephants and possibly other
draught animals you have to feed them a nutritious diet to keep them
content and healthy and get real work done. So, take your pick.
Grow enough for the elephants and keep them penned adequately so they
won't damage crops. Obviously there are variables in this scheme and
they might not work out at all considering the risks involved, but oxen
and horses would. Again, I am talking about them pulling the 2000lb.
hiller-bedder-tilther-subsoiler depicted in the gallery of photos I
posted a link to. If I had it to do over again I would substiture
Yeoman's Keyline plow shanks for the Roll-A-Cone mini-subsoilers I did
use, and might use as many as three 26" shanks. The Yeoman's uses a 4"
square toolbar and that is what the Roll-A-Cone system I used offered.

LL