[permaculture] true-to-type seed exchange

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 1 18:38:29 EST 2012

On 2/1/2012 2:44 PM, Jason Gerhardt wrote:

 > That is an awesome idea! I think we permaculturalists need more
avenues for useful plant exchange. A live plant exchange would be
excellent as well.
 > In general, I think subtropical and tropical fruits produce closer to
type from seed, peaches and apricots too, which helps explain Fukuoka's
methods> more. I would be skeptical of plums, cherries, and apples from
seed due to multiple cross pollination sources being very frequent in
many areas i.e. wild cherries, plums, crabapples. It is possible to get
them true to type, but needs control and careful management, likely hand
pollination.
 > I am beginning to wonder what happens to trees longer term by
planting the graft below grade, and leaving it unpruned. I usually plant
my grafts about an inch or so below grade as in my very windy climate it
makes for a much> more resilient tree. St. Lawrence Nursery in N.Y.
recommends this planting method for cold climates too. I have been
minimal pruning plants like this so I can't say how well they do without
manipulation. I think I will leave a few new trees alone to watch what
they do over the years when growing on a combination of
 > their own roots and on rootstock.

Good!

I have just added the following email ID's with read and edit
permission......

Chris  c.s.carnevale at gmail.com
Sal  sals3 at cox.net
Shawn  shawntisdell at gmail.com
Georg  g.parlow at gmx.at
Luke  luke at groaction.com
Jason  jasongerhardt at gmail.com
Michael  friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Lawrence  lfljvenaura at gmail.com

....to all of the following Google Docs Documents and Spreadsheets
and Google Sites:

Read the "Project Discussion: Goals and Means" Document to see if you
like those ideas or have anything to add. - LL

Google Sites:

Seed and Plant Resources
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/
copies of any finished or works-in-progress documents are kept in this
repository for public viewing and edit sharing with participants, with
links to any Google Spreadsheets and Docs, forums, blogs an websites.

Google Docs Spreadsheets:

Seed and Plant Sources
Shawn Tisdell, owner
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsWaW9JX4vkNdDFXMGFLWGEzdjFXLXcyYWNwbVJ2aVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

True To Type Seed Exchange
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agc-KB8sDNDKdDlkMEZNS2tJS2VfV1FBN0dKNjJHV3c&hl=en_US#gid=0
Chris Carnevale, owner

Google Docs Documents:

Please create any other Documents needed and share with the rest of us
as you see fit.

Seed Exchange TTT
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N2wYF8y3tfWA0T8aDIq_iT_BcLjs80kOaoEuHWDqHQQ/edit?hl=en_US
This is the source document for the TTT spreadsheet that I use.
LL, owner

Project Discussion: Goals and Means
add any ideas you have about the projects we share, suggestions, wishes,
goals, mission, purpose & uses.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nttM6gBY0icElGDjqQ_h5-PBU3lxU_TRLzkccIscjic/edit?hl=en_US
LL< owner

These are just working documents containing source material to be used
elsewhere, NOT for public viewing (they contain a lot of borrowed
material from various websites that can be added to the spreadsheets; no
intent to copy anything other than individual or company names with
contact information).

Seed and Plant Resources 4 all parts
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BWqTCrzCS71o3Gav-zvv4MUUfgMVj0vbTQb9LJlGUD4/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part4
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zh-E-IwmiG1sCzw4J_CrhEro9TUwBmM_Caf7Fv4pR2I/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part3
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImhTFMZ2rUmLGz65aMvRfCs-YmuwLwjsosHvxs31q60/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part2
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YeGKRxUfX_yCzk-rfoccrdbJ3MNUYyAInSPDlyZwTfE/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13fXXA0H-Iw4FtNiyRd8qdQXyaUaV_HXetox-ejs9c6Q/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 3
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HeIXy9gqgWsX6RxYsK4X7Vx6dCKcFVfQS-zHcnlkNu4/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 2
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H3m0wORZV39E1gz1cMfDni1s6dD7AnFxXY05TUpQXW8/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14I51qCwqoH1h3-tghAwn0V8KT0z-rhPcm4bGynrqtVU/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

This is another working document I maintain that contains a compilation
of some of the above source material, available for public viewing  but
is not a finished product. Edit this as you see fit. I add everything
new that I find to it just for convenient storage and access:
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/seed-and-plant-source-lists/seed-and-plant-resources
a subset of:
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/
LL, owner

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am also working on a biointensive farming (covers all biointensive
aspects of gardening, farming, landscaping and permaculture) site with
an array of useful resources. If anyone would like to participate, use
or contribute to this please let me know.
Biointensive Farming
https://sites.google.com/site/biointensivefarming/
A subset for edit sharing if anyone is interested:
Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist and Biointensive Gardening Guide
Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MP85QDZW4x8PXCeXEa0hyVbI98JEeHOLJcj71I1h3Ek/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner