[permaculture] Permaculture Forums at Permies & The ALAN CHADWICK ARCHIVE PROJECT

venaurafarm venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 14 11:14:13 EDT 2012

On 8/14/2012 10:20 AM, paul wheaton wrote:
> Thanks Lawrence!
>
> Geoff Lawton will be answering questions at permies this week and we
> will be giving away four copies of his food forest DVD.

A DVD on that topic could be very useful. Do you offer sample video
snippets of it online? If not, maybe this would be possible.

> Also, last night somebody posted a video of a very successful
> hugelkultur bed, and they carefully dissected it.  They took the best
> plant and dug down following the roots to try and figure out what made
> the plant to happy.

This is really excellent work, the kind of thing that needs to be done.
Somehow a map should be made of structures/earthworks/gardening
methods/water features (i.e. swales/berms,dams,impoundments large and
small/floating islands absorbing fertility, hosting crops and aquatic
habitat, Hazelip/Jeavons/Chadwick/Fukuoka/Coleman/Bonfils gardening
methods).

> We've been doing a lot of stuff with the Weston A. Price foundation
> and now have a huge gob of traffic in our new "food as medicine"
> forum.

That is also extremely important, especially nowadays. I think 'food as
medicine' is at the heart of Japanese traditional macrobiotic nutrition,
foods, recipes. Problems with your health? Scale back to the simplest
possible diet, rice, miso soup, maybe tempeh, bonito flakes, etc. Today
I will have miso soup with rice and several spoonsful of almond butter
(+ crushed hot pepper flakes, a little Bragg unpasteurized cider
vinegar, coarse sea salt, olive oil).

> There are huge leaps about to be announced in the rocket mass heater arena.

This is very important. Anything hands-on, do it yourself, homebrew, get
people interested in making their own (this is already a big movement,
Maker Faire, etc.). See the videos of home made wheeled devices (garden
tillers/weeders) and vehicles, human powered and electric-driven.

> So much going on every day.

This is  how it should be, and on the increase, an upward path.

>> Permaculture Forums at Permies
>> http://www.permies.com/forums
>>
>> really amazing array of useful forums..to say the least
>> kudos to Paul & Staff

with Amazing Stories to tell (like the old SF pulp mag), Tales of
Permaculture, tales from the depths of Hugelkulture mound, the fragrance
of fresh dark compost wafting over the field, perfume of a different
order, Close Encounters With Edge Zones.......(bring in Morton Feldman's
"For Philip Guston" - that must be the music used in CEOATK).

Here is more news; I will X-post this to Permies; if possible in
multiple forums.: