[permaculture] Nth American Conference

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 02:59:37 EDT 2012

I really appreciate the enthusiasm! It would be a pretty spiritual event, that is for sure. I feel the outcome might be very different than if we have a convergence that is in an established area and focused on surveyed interests/needs. It would end up being pulled by the needs of the Lakota. I am not convinced that is the correct sequence for us, as a body, or even the greatest good, overall. We need to address the destructive machine that is doing all of us in, the Lakota worse than many, and being more organized gives us an advantage. If we meet in one of the established areas, we will focus more fully on that. There certainly might be some good karma involved in bringing a lot of good energy and some real changes there tho, too. I am not objective about it, I would love to see some real energy aimed there, for positive change, and we are some of the few who could really bring that.

I will support whatever location gets the most support from permaculture elders and people who have done these convergences before. I can see the advantage of doing the first one in an established area. Pine Ridge would need some very good support from multiple people to pull off what we're proposing. I am under no illusion that I could rally it on my own - it would need agreement and commitment from enough people who know what they're doing.

One reason I suggested it is because it needs attention from multiple people and they are ready in many ways. Some concerted attention over a couple year period might transform that place; it would  be an interesting experiment to see if we could do that. But there are undoubtedly other places that is true of too, that would set a good example for the out of control consumerist society.

There is a certain very attractive irony and sense of justice in the idea of co-creating an ideal sustainable design at Pine Ridge. No building codes, for one thing! And it's been competing with their next door brother, Rosebud rez, as "the worst county in the US", in which hundreds of millions of dollars have been sunk into a seemingly bottomless pit of hopelessness. If permaculture made a real difference there, it is likely to get some attention. Maybe some we wouldn't want tho too, as a young and unorganized body.

I've watched arguments back and forth about concerns regarding going mainstream (coming back to the idea of putting our energies strategically in an urban area somewhere). But I don't think we have a moral choice, frankly, to do otherwise. It is up to us to maintain the integrity of permaculture in the face of vested interests, but I feel that we do need to engage them and present permaculture to them. And keep communicating what permaculture - and real sustainability and regeneration  - is, without compromise.

I'm just laying it all out there. Maybe we can apply our design skills and stage this national convergence for the largest yields rather than go off of emotion (which I am inclined to do regarding social injustice). Where could we meet and obtain the largest yields from it? What could we do when we meet, to get the biggest yields?

One possibility for the rez would be to do a mini-convergence or specialty convergence up at Pine Ridge, for the purpose of regenerating Indian lands. There was an indigenous permaculture conference last year in Colorado. I'm just trying to get people up there to help with the spring planting, lol...  I like your idea of combining/stacking functions, locations, etc.

At Pine Ridge, spring planting is April/May (earlier for trees, later for crops), and I will be there, one way or other, for that next year.

To give an idea of the weather, it can freeze in May and hail golf balls in July. It can freeze in late Aug or Sept. It routinely freezes in April but that is when I may need to go, to get some cover crops in so they get enough rain. The rainy season is in April, mostly, maybe into May. Then rain is hit or miss after that. It can pass 100 degrees in June, or May, and the next day be cold and hailing. When we were there last year, we got trees planted and everything in, it was warm and sunny, and then I planted tomatoes with a 6 year old I mentor up there, and it froze that night - after the frost date of 15 May. The weatherman predicted upper 30's. :-(

I would immensely welcome collective wisdom and creativity up there (and also strong backs and arms :-). It is the most challenging environment I've dealt with by far, physically.

But on the other hand, there is a lot of heart there; there are microclimates and we can create them (i'm hoping). The land is breathtakingly beautiful, wide open spaces, beautiful skies, something out of the 1900's when land was land. The history is palpable. I do love the rez, it gets under your skin.

I get what you're saying about calling it the rez. That is a term of affection for many, but it does have connotations. Rusell Means calls it the sovereign Lakota Nation....

So to sum up, I would want commitment from an experienced team of convergence creators before even thinking of attempting anything at the rez. And I will fully and actively support another location that someone commits to organizing and has the resources to do so. I think Michael's ideas make sense. And I think a national needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Koreen Brennan