[permaculture] Nth American Conference

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 20:51:57 EDT 2012

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_figures/fact_sheets/pages/environment.aspx

http://www.seat61.com/CO2flights.htm

http://environment.about.com/od/greenlivingdesign/a/fly_vs_drive.htm

Though plane flight creates significantly more carbon footprint, I am not completely opposed to using planes - it really depends on whether or not what you're doing is going to significantly offset the use. What if the trip would lower pollution and land abuse over the long term, at significant gain? I think it's ridiculous to question the use of planes by people like Darren Doherty, for instance, when he is planting thousands of trees or revitilizing significant acreage in a way that could last for generations.

I prefer trains myself whenever possible - quite comfortable, you can walk around on them, and I can catch up on all the reading I might otherwise never get around to. Plus in some areas, the scenery is fabulous. I saw my first bald eagle in flight riding in a train through a remote wilderness area. He flew right alongside my window for a bit.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition
www.meetup.com/createclearwater