[permaculture] Nth American Conference

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 21:41:53 EDT 2012

Some of us have thought about, and talked about, a North American PC Convergence at some length.  Much of it not on the list serve.

I have proposed that the national be rotated around between the regional convergences already happening.  Still waiting to hear if any regions want to volunteer to do the first one.

Another scenario is for a consortium of organizers from different bioregions to come together to organize the national.  The more regions represented the better.

In the first scenario the national would rotate around the country sometime on the coasts sometimes in the middle, etc.

In the 2nd scenario a location could be picked relatively central to the country.  Ideally with good access to a big airport and even more important (I think) on a major Amtrak rail hub.  Another criteria would be an active local permaculture group to help do the local work needed.

Chicago is a great railroad hub but doesn't have a strong permie group (to my knowledge).  Cincinnati, Denver? Bloomington, Indiana? Ideas? At this point any good offer by a strong group can be put forward.

I imagine that in every region there would be a few or a dozen people who would work to make it happen.

Lead time.  6 months would be good.  3 months minimum.  The networks are fast these days.

It seems like part of the goal would be to bring a lot of the movement old-timers together along with a lot of the course teachers and the new blood.

The main purposes being to build the movement, exchange strategies, build networks etc.  Not permaculture 101 how to do a sheet mulch.

A few thoughts.

Michael Pilarski

Michael Pilarski