[permaculture] PERMACULTURE CONVERGENCES, Why bother?

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 02:46:01 EDT 2012

@font-face {
  font-family: "Times New Roman";
}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

@font-face {
  font-family: "Times New Roman";
}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Could I get your attention for a few minutes on the topic of
permaculture convergences…

I am looking for presenters for two events:

1) The Northwest Permaculture Convergence, October 5-7. Fort
Flagler, Puget Sound, Washington. http://www.northwestpermaculture.org

2) The Inland Northwest Permaculture Conference, November
9-11, Missoula Montana

http://inlandnorthwestpermaculture.com

Why am I putting this on the national permaculture
listserve? Because I think it is a good idea for permaculturists to
cross-pollinate across the regions.
We should send representatives to other bioregions’ convergences to see
what they are up to.

If anyone is interested in presenting at either of these
convergences please contact me.

Another reason people might want to attend convergences in
other regions is if they are considering moving. For instance if you are
thinking of moving to Montana or the Inland Northwest then it would be a
terrific idea for you to attend our regional convergence in Missoula.  You will get a chance to meet hundreds
of people from around the region and especially from Montana.

Anyone interested in Cascadia (the Maritime Pacific
Northwest) should consider attending the Fort Flager convergence.  Similarly anyone interested in moving
to the Northeast US can attend the Northeast Permaculture Convergence, etc.

I have organized and attended quite a few permaculture
convergences over the years, Mostly the Pacific Northwest region, but I also
attended three of the International Permaculture Convergences & Conferences
and an Australian National Convergence. I am thrilled whenever I hear of a new
regional permaculture convergence starting.  I feel that attending permaculture gatherings is one of the
most productive and meaningful activities we can engage in. Convergences are
places to share knowledge, information, inspiration, friendships, and
synthesis. Building the movement and the networks. We can all do more effective
work locally if we learn from our far-flung peers.  This is accomplished to some extent with the internet and
printed media like the “Permaculture Activist”; but there is nothing like
getting together in person with large numbers of permaculture folks in festive
convergences.

I have spent some time researching this topic and my article

A HISTORY OF PERMACULTURE GATHERINGS HELD IN THE UNITED
STATES & CANADA can be read at:

http://inlandnorthwestpermaculture.com/articles

I have written before on the permaculture listserves about a
North American Permaculture Convergence. I reiterate my willingness to support
one, but my schedule does not allow me to propose anything at this time.

Michael Pilarski,

509-486-4056, Michael at friendsofthetrees.net