[permaculture] Yield comparisons with industrial farming?

Steve Bonney steve at sustainableearth.net
Thu Apr 26 23:25:23 EDT 2012

It is very difficult to wade through the statistics of the agriculture
sector and come up with meaningful data. In 2011, 33 million hectares in
the U. S. were planted in corn and produced 316 million metric tons of
which 50 million metric tons were exported. That same year 31 million
hectares were planted in soybeans yielding 91 million metric tons of
which 40 million metric tons were exported.  The  U. S.  Department of
Agriculture brags that we exported $136 billion of farm commodities
(includes non-food commodities, e.g. cotton and tobacco) in 2010.
However, it's hardly mentioned that we imported $98 billion of
agriculture products. It's still cold war propaganda.

I have quit using yields as a measure of any comparison of agricultural
systems. It's always an apples vs. oranges comparison. Yields are touted
by industrial agriculture as a measure of success, but eco-farmers never
measure success in terms of yields. We simply do not farm for maximum
yields, rather for optimum yields. Dieter, you are correct that
economists do not denominate fertile soil. This is because the high
yields of industrial agriculture are achieved by adding huge amounts of
NP and K. Two million tons of mined phosphorus are added to U. S. farm
ground per year. The list goes on. It's all madness. It is difficult to
convince unknowing people that cheap food is not cheap.

Steve