[permaculture] SUN May 6/Future of Money Talk with Bernard Lietaer/Please share/Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Apr 24 10:05:31 EDT 2012

*/

/*
*The SBCC Center for Sustainability Presents:
*/ The Future of Money:
Creating Sustainability & Abundance
  with Complementary Currencies
/
with Bernard Lietaer

Sunday May 6, 2012
6:30-9pm
Fe Bland Auditorium, Santa Barbara City College, West Campus
$10-$5 SBCC Students

/"Money is like an iron ring we've put through our noses. We've
forgotten that we designed it, and it is now leading us around"
/ Bernard Lietaer

/ / /A/ ccording to Bernard Lietaer, scarcity doesn't need to be a
guiding principle of our economic system.  He also suggests that money
should work for us, not the other way around, and unlike the weather,
wasn't created by Nature, it was created by us!

Monetary systems have existed throughout human history, and with the
centuries-old model that currently exists, has been the culprit for many
of the negative economic and environmental issues we face today.  But
what most have forgotten is that money is a /human designed construct/
that we absolutely have the ability to redesign for a more abundant and
sustainable future.

Join the SBCC Center for Sustainability for a talk with Bernard Lietaer,
author of the newly published book, *"New Money for a New World"* on
*Sunday, May 6, 6:30-9pm,* as he discusses radical but proven ideas
about complementary currencies and their ability to strengthen local
communities and their economies, while buffering them from the ups and
downs of the global economy.  Using innovative *new systems of exchange,
along side existing national currencies*, Lietaer suggests we move away
from single currency monocultures, with their inevitable boom and bust
cycles, to multiple and diverse systems of exchange.  When one exchange
system goes down, another one is in place for welcome stability, with a
resilience and diversity that mimics natural ecosystems.

Sharing compelling examples of successful complementary currencies used
around the globe today and those from past eras of history, Lietaers
ideas are less revolutionary than they appear.  Using creative
initiatives such as airline frequent flyer miles (a form of
complementary currency promoting customer-loyalty in exchange for free
travel), Time Banks, commercial barter, carbon currency and mutual
credit systems, communities can empower themselves and flourish in spite
of the current economic crisis, by simply rethinking how money works.

For learning institutions such as colleges that currently leave many
students in enormous debt and others left out of the system altogether,
an exemplary complementary currency model is the Brazilian Saber, where
funds from a small tax on cell phone usage is used to create "sabers"
officially redeemable for teaching other students or tuition payments,
thereby creating a "learning chain and learning multiplier" effect.  The
University of Missouri, Kansas City, introduced an innovative
complementary currency called Buckaroos, that students can earn while
performing community service activities.

Bernard Lietaer is a former Belgium banker and the author of several
highly acclaimed books including */The Future of Money: Beyond Greed &
Scarcity/; *and* /Creating Wealth; Growing Local Economies with Local
Currencies/*, and his most recent, */New Money for a New World/*.  He
has been active in the realm of money systems in a wide variety of
functions for almost 40 years, including being one of the principle
architects of the European euro.  Formerly a professor of international
finance at the University of Louvain, Lietaer was a fellow at the Center
for Sustainable Resources at the University of California, Berkeley.
Lietaer co-founded one of the largest and most successful currency
management firms, GaiaCorp.  He is co-founder of ACCESS Foundation, an
educational non-profit organization whose goal is the re-alignment of
sustainability and global financial interests.  Business Week magazine
named him "the world's top currency trader" in 1992.

Faye Cox, local currency expert, will introduce and facilitate the talk,
which will also include other community members for an interesting
discussion of how complementary currencies might be used to address
critical social and economic issues in our region.

The evening talk takes place on *Sunday, May 6, 6:30pm-9pm, 2012, at the
Fe Bland Auditorium, Santa Barbara City College West Campus*, 721 Cliff
Drive, SB, 93109. $10 general/$5 SBCC students. No reservations
required. More info: (805)962-2571, email: sbpcnet at silcom.com,
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/

Sponsored by:
The SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
Co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Santa Barbara Time
Bank, & the Santa Barbara Slow Money Chapter

_Read More:

_*Bernard Lietaer website*: http://www.lietaer.com/

*Santa Barbara TimeBank:
* http://santabarbara.timebanks.org/

*International Journal of Community Currency Research (IJCCR):
*The online forum for disseminating knowledge about community and
complementary currencies around the world.
http://www.ijccr.net/IJCCR/IJCCR_Home.html

Quotes:

    "National currency is cold and selfish by itself. So let's create
    community currencies with which we can warm up our communities as
    /New Money For A New World/ recommends."
    ~Tsutomu Hotta
    Former Minister of Justice and Supreme Court Judge in Japan
    Chairman, Sawayaka Welfare Foundation
    Founder of the Japanese "Fureai Kippu" currencies
    "Bernard Lietaer and Stephen Belgin compel us to rethink our
    assumptions about money, economics, and commerce today. Their
    analyses and historical insights are incisive and provoke thought
    about what's gone wrong with economies all over the world. But more
    importantly, they provide tangible solutions­illustrated in
    real-world examples­to challenges we face with building more just,
    prosperous and sustainable global societies."
    ~Martin N. Davidson, Ph.D.,
    Associate Professor at Darden Graduate School of Business
    Author of /The End of Diversity as We Know It

    /
    "Every so often, something comes along that changes our perceptions,
    turning our world upside-down and inside-out. /New Money For A New
    World/ will shatter the views of anyone who uses money, and show how
    we can make money work for us, creating greater prosperity and
    possibility, while bringing balance to our greatest social and
    environmental problems."
    ~Nitin Gadia
    Videographer of /Creating Our Own Money/
    Facilitator of the Central Iowa Currency Initiative

Margie Bushman
Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/