[permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon Oct 31 15:34:33 EDT 2011

The Latterday Saints say put the dry ice in the bottom of the pail, a chunk
about the size of your fist. Pour the grain or beans in, cover loosely until
you see the dry ice vapor starting to seep out around the edge, then seal
tightly.  What you are trying to do is replace the oxygen in the bucket with
carbon dioxide.  Another strategy is to freeze the grain for a week, if your
freezer is big enough to accommodate a 5 gal bucket.

Bob Waldrop, OKC (I lived in Utah for 16 years, so ran into a lot of info
there from the LDS about food storage, since that is one of their faith
practices)
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org