[permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Harpin

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 27 18:25:23 EST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Harpin
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:50:47 -0500
From: jcummins <jcummins at UWO.CA>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello Klaas Martens,
I certainly hope that your expectation about harpins is correct.
However, the situation with the harpins  has changed drastically in the
past few years. The main thing that happened was that Monsanto entered
the seed treatment area with harpin and they are among the world's
largest producers of seeds. Both GM and non-Gm crops may be seed treated
  treated with GM harpins.
Along with that a clique of National Academy scientists are are
agitating to stop government regulation of GM crops all together and
these people wish to make GM orgaic. In UK the harpins are being
advertised as 'organic' products  while in USA the net  advertises 'The
original Messenger® product containing the patented Harpin Protein was
manufactured by' Your Organic Gardening Supply Store or 'Organic
Control; Messenger - A New Gardening Tool Against Plant Diseases'. I
expect many certified organic  producers may get fooled into using GM
harpins for seed treatment, crop production or post harvest treatment of
fruit and vegetables.
I think that we need to be vigilent about these developments. A quick
ELISA color  test for harpins could be produced at a reasonable price
and that should be done asap.
sincerely, joe cummins