[permaculture] Biochar

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Thu Nov 17 12:23:08 EST 2011

Dieter, I don't see it in the stark either-or terms that you put it in. We're talking about two different goals and processes here--soil building alone via humus, and using biochar to provide heat while sequestering carbon and building soil in a different way. Obviously, the idea of clearing all biomass and pyrolizing it into charcoal is insane. But many people are going to use some sort of fuel for cooking or heating--in the developed world, we avoid the whole issue by using petroleum. But wood is still the most common heating and cooking fuel in the world. Efforts to convert wood-burning indigenous people to solar-users mostly fail; some cultures can't make the shift, as wood is embedded in their culture (I've seen shiny solar cookers converted into jewelry) so they are going to continue to use wood. Those are the people (and the lands) whom biochar would benefit the most. It would be stupid and unpermacultural to advocate making biochar just for its own sake, but we're talking about reducing wood consumption, building soil, generating a product, and creating usable and clean heat via biochar. Making humus from biomass only builds soil. So what you do with your biomass depends on what your goal is. If you are fortunate enough to have no need for heat, have plenty of wood, need soil built, and don't use a polluting or degenerative fuel, then you probably don't need any function from your biomass other than making humus.

But if not, biochar is a terrific way to stack functions, to generate heat, keep air clean, and build soil at the same time.

We need to find some way to get carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, without doing something stupid with this valuable resource like shooting in into deep underground fissures. Biochar provides a very multifunctional way to do that, getting the carbon out of the air but keeping in in a usable form. Just putting biomass into the soil does not sequester carbon; about 90% of the carbon is sent back into the atmosphere within a year, as opposed to biochar sequestering 30-40% of it for centuries. So in one sense, making humus out of biomass is far more damaging to the climate than making biochar, if I can play Devil's advocate for a minute. But anything is better than wasting biomass.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com