[permaculture] Fwd: Biochar

John D'hondt dhondt at eircom.net
Wed Nov 16 19:06:05 EST 2011

Exactly Steve, I have been charring posts for 20 years and find them much
more resistant to rot than expensive chemically treated bought in posts.
Charring is the oldest and often best wood preservative known to mankind.
 But....commercial charcoal is often saturated with fish emulsion and if it
is porous enough then I imagine that there would be microorganisms moving in
there. This is probably good fertilizer in depleted soils but people see the
result of the fish and not the inert charcoal.
john