[permaculture] Humus

John D'hondt dhondt at eircom.net
Tue Nov 15 14:44:38 EST 2011

Sorry Dieter,

The only reference I have at hand would be from Odums, "Fundamentals of
ecology" a book that is never far from my hand. As Lawrence knows, I am very
bad in keeping track of everything I read otherwise. I spend an hour or two
on the PC every day during which time I read hundreds of pages. I simply
can't keep track of sources for that would mean keeping many megabytes every
day.
I tend to remember ideas but forget about autor's names or where they wrote
it.
As I said I did some little bit of work on humus in another life and found
that Odum was correct in stating that it does not matter much which
vegetable feedstock is used in humus production. Of course the mineral
content will differ but the general shape and form of the humic acid
molecules is the same.
As to animal manures, I definitely remember articles by archeologists who
excavated medieval middens and found proof of which animals were being kept
from the chemical analysis of the black stuff in the pits. In one case pigs
and in another site sheep. To find out more archeological articles are where
to look. Can't say more for my memory is not that good.
John