[permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 1 12:10:22 EDT 2011

On 11/1/2011 12:37 AM, Douglas Woodard wrote:
> Lawrence, what do you think would cause freezer burn from dry ice?
>
>   From my reading the cause of freezer burn is primarily dehydration and
> secondarily oxidation, along with storage at temperatures above 0
> degrees F. Very cold local temperatures don't seem to have much if
> anything to do with it. A large part of the cure for meat is apparently
> wrapping to prevent dehydration. With grain I doubt there would be much
> of a problem with dry ice. I would expect exclusion of oxygen to be helpful.
>
> If the Mormons recommend dry ice as Bob Waldrop says, their
> recommendation is probably based on a lot of practical experience. I
> would be inclined to take their word for it.

Thanks, Douglas. That's an explanation of the causes of freezer burn I
wasn't aware of. I would then assume that damage to stored foods from
dry ice is a non issue except for the possibility that the freeze thaw
cycle affecting grain or beans in contact with the dry ice might cause
damage that could result in rot. This too may be a non issue.