No subject

Wed May 4 18:08:57 EDT 2011

not very practical component of "restored" ecosystems.  Restoration without
the animals, IMO, is incomplete, and rather than taking the easy route of
mechanically clearing brush and prescribed fire we need to be puzzling out
just how to get the animals back on the land.

Domestic livestock are probably our best tool for the job but even that
entails fencing, livestock and labor for ranching which is more than a lot
of people want to bight off when they agree to pay for "restoration."  A lot
of restoration work is client driven, especially here in Texas where most
land is privately owned.  In order to be an active, practicing
restorationist we often end up having to comply with the desires and
limitations of the land owner.

What you usually hear restorationists talking about are song birds.  Like
prairies, song birds are vibrant and charming so they're in high demand and
return quickly to restored grasslands.

I'd love to see more pronghorn antelope, mule deer, bison, bob cats, and
wolves.  You can imagine the complexity of reintroducing these animals,
however.  What a challenge!

Kirby